This Is It?

by Nevuela 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I have started to view the Watchtower's vision of paradise not just delusionary but not a place I want to be.

I love the internet. I love my phone. I love my coffee maker. I love watching almost any film I want on demand. I am sure my taste in music would be banned and I know living in a peaceful world and in good health would be marvellous but not at the expense of no more trains, planes and cars (unless we all get the gift of wings, that would be cool) but I am more content and appreciative of my life now than I ever was as a JW. Have I just become selfish in my old age?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I often wonder why I did not wake up and leave earlier, being born in had a lot to do with it. But as I look back I remember clearly being sceptical about any of the Hype.

And I used to laugh at those getting their strings pulled. In 1975 it was all supposed to kick off in October according to Mad Freddie Franz' "calculations", in the middle of that year, as a tender youth, I started my Private Pension, a rare thing to do in those days even for "worldly" youth, unheard of for a JW, the End was "so close", just weeks away, remember.

The JW's of today are nearly all from after 1975, old farts like me and Nathan shake our heads at how deluded they are, and personally I feel sad for them, doomed to disappointment as they are.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

@ Nevuela - for Bible Students living between 1880 - 1914, Russell promised them that the GT and Armageddon was coming soon - in 1914 & then 1915..

Bible students between 1919-25 were promised similar by Rutherford and that the resurrection would take place in 1925.

Jehovah's Witnesses were seriously primed by the WTBTS, Fred Franz, Nathan Knorr et al to expect the end to come in 1975 and before the end of the 20th century.

The WTBTS/JW's should be in the Guinness Book of World Records - for being the world's most prolific and humiliated Christian denomination when predicting the end of this world.

No surprise then if we suddenly hear of another "it's so near" prediction.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I said it once before on this site, but at the last circuit assembly I attended (1979) the CO or DO said words to the effect, “Brothers, do not let anyone deceive you into thinking that Armageddon is many years away, it is not, it is a matter of months not years.”

That stuck in my head as I thought, that’s what you said five years ago. The fact that they are still saying it makes me wonder how those that were there at the time can still swallow the same broken record today. Baffling.
  • baldeagle
  • zeb
    zeb

google 'stay alive till '75.'..

and if any item of news is that bloody important put it out around the world on fax! Not have us wait for it until some distant convention talk which has already been heard months ago in other countries....bah!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Getting back to the OP. CO's have always said stuff like that for all my life. It's their job to keep everybody on their toes.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Today’s liars rely on technology as they 1) Lack the charisma of the old days, and 2) Have nothing truly new and exciting to say; they can’t really make any more predictions with dates and no one would believe them if they forecasted another resurrection. 😂

When I was waking up, I had recently read the famous ‘68 Awake?? The one with the infamous article for young people.. “Is it later than you think?” was the cover I believe. 🤔

Anyway, the ohh so exciting “Special” talk that year was... ( Drum Roll...........) Is it later than you think?? 😂😂😂

Realizing they had just recycled material again confirmed what I knew in my heart. The religion of my birth was not the “One True Religion.” I didn’t know what offended me more, that the people who picked the talk were such poor students that they failed to notice the repeat, or the thought that they knew full well what they did, and considered the sheeple too stupid to notice??

Either way, it was a real WTF moment and I don’t worry about their prognostications. They have ZERO credence.... ZERO...

DD

• Simon
    Simon

There was some UN proclamation of a year of "Peace and Security" that they made a big deal of at one convention. It was in Manchester, at Maine Road stadium about 25 years ago (Man City's old ground, which gives you an idea of how long ago it was).

They were clever with their wording, both hyping it up and giving themselves a get-out:

"[reads out UN proclamation, dramatic emphasis on 'peace and security' bit] ... Now, we're not saying that this is the proclamation that immediately precedes Armageddon brothers .... but watch. this. space. [ho ho ho, how clevers we are]"

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Yes, the UN’s year of “peace and security” was 1986; 32 years ago. What a farce.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit