Allergic to Kingdom Hall

by Cerise 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• tiki
    tiki

Yeah....a lot of dubs are highly neurotic.....hypochondriacal....all the misery infusion of how awful life is in this end time exacerbates mental health issues. Allergic reactions occur. I've seen so much of this in my past life stuck in that messy web.....

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We do have a lot of issues with mold down here in Florida with all the moisture (rain, humidity). If allowed to propagate, it can really be a health issue.

I know of at least two KH's that had to close for several months while they brought in companies to find and eliminate the mold.

As Sir82 mentioned, it is also not surprising that the "quick-build" KH's are more susceptible to mold and other shoddy construction issues.

Rub a Dub

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I had issues with some of the chairs in the new hall. Sitting in them for the duration of a boasting session was bad for my back--I can handle lifting with my back at work without issues, but sitting in one of those chairs we had in the building was enough to give me a backache.

Not to mention the humidity in there in winter is abysmally low. I wonder if the air is drawn through liquid helium to get rid of all the water vapor before being heated and circulated. This caused plenty of chapped skin issues. And worse, it is stripped of all negative ions (and most of the positive ions as well), rendering the air dead. Want a good way to catch a cold? Just go to the boasting session--even allowing for people spreading colds by going to boasting sessions sick, the lack of ions and humidity (and sleep) makes it that much worse.

• LV101
    LV101

Yes -- they go to meetings sick and coughing and carried in on cots if necessary! The cult promotes that type of attendance. They'd bring in dead bodies from the morgue if necessary to boost their membership drives. People coughing, sneezing with fevers is normal because it exalts their ego how devout they are and to impress the ruling class. I hear JWs say (now and decades ago) that everyone in their hall is sick with colds, etc., etc. What a bunch of loons - stay home and get well. Not like they're missing anything, ever, and they can chat by phone with their life-long friends.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I was in a congregation many years ago where an elder had to move his family to another hall because their young daughter was allergic to the upholstery.

I have very bad allergies and used to get a reaction to all the perfume and aftershave. I'd sit in the hall with a pouring nose, sneezing etc because some sisters would literally bath themselves in perfume.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

terminally stupid.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

I guess I had an allergy to people who constantly spew lies, so I quit going and my allergy magically disassociated itself from me.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew jws that had selective allergies, but only at the KH. I have allergies but they affect me everywhere. My problem were people who poured on the perfume. I just avoided them at the KH and asked to be switched to another book study group. It was easier for me to adjust than for them to adjust.

Some too are looking for attention even for an illusionary illness. It takes some insight to determine what category they fall in, my own observations not others. I usually asked them if they had visited a medical doctor trained specifically in recognizing allergies and treating them. I let them know I had done so and had received some good suggestions and medication. I am also allergic to cats and dust (a fact of life that can't be avoided). As long as I don't pet the cat and then touch my face, I'm okay (but if their owners have cat hair all over in clumps). But I don't assume that all people with allergies are faking it.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is a quick build syndrome. In their rush to finish, wallpaper was pasted on wet drywall; A recipe for mold. An elder who was a drywaller explained this to me. I think this was a common problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit