Allergic to Kingdom Hall

by Cerise 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cerise
    Cerise

Does anyone else know of a person who has such a sensitive nose or bad allergy that they are allergic to the paint or interior of the Kingdom Hall somehow and they can’t go inside? And that person doesn’t even switch halls they “listen on the phone” all the time. I know of a couple people like that. It’s actually genius 😂

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I had a serious issue inside, but I wasn't given the luxury of staying home. My mom forced me to go, at the time I was living at home and had to abide by her rules. Thinking back on it, that's why I traveled so much before I was married.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I've known many like that. It was a permit to stay away from the meetings.

• LV101
    LV101

I've heard the new type of hall bldg. (commercial fast food look) possibly are constructed with styrofoam walls (covered over with cement coating or something) and have caused coughing issues. Wouldn't surprise me -- artists that work with that material wear serious protective clothing and breathing-apparatus arsenal.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Not the paint or carpet or any of that BS. But we had a women Gwen Thatcher many years ago who would sit in the back second hall because the perfume and after shave she said would make her sick. She lobbied the elders to make it a no smell I.E perfume, aftershave or deodorant hall. They refused so she sat in the second hall. You may have called it something else, we called the library a second hall because when they split the Thursday talks up it was a second hall.

LV101 that is made up if someone says that Styrofoam bothers them. First off I have never seen that used inside. Its an exterior Styrofoam and then covered in a Fiberglas mess and a vinyl coating with foam balls swirled to look like its stucco. Also those who use it are cutting it and small particles are floating so I can see wearing a face mask. But once its on its like Asbestos It is harmless unless you break it up into dust. I had a rental that had the old Asbestos siding. Its fine unless you sand it, or tear it off. Its a lot of BS that the idiots on the left try to spread. LIke Gluten free BS. Only those with celiacs disease have to worry about gluten.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

A lot of the women in my church (sisters in the Kingdom Hall) would wear perfume that set off my allergies. I think for many this is a real thing.

• LV101
    LV101

I heard they might 'possibly' be constructed -- believe reading on this site about the new type of halls (structure and someone posted about the materials) being built. Guess it's not the walls - I certainly know nothing about wall construction but thanks for the info. I don't know what's causing the coughing issues. Could be anything in the air outside (allergies as they are a real problem here and old age) before they walk into the hall but with all the codes/regulations today I doubt it could be anything too serious. Now that's funny about "the idiots on the left . . . " Ya never know! I've heard from art instructors what a marvelous product Styrofoam is.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We had an email at work some years ago saying deodorant and perfume can set of some peoples' asthma so to be careful about wearing it.

I asked my manager if that meant we couldn't wear deodorant anymore because believe me it's bad enough when some of our library users, the great unwashed, don't wear it.

She said no it doesn't mean that, as if I was being difficult. Still no idea what we were meant to do about it!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There was a crazy sister in our Congo that claimed to be allergic to aluminum. Like some other JWs (including one DO) she refused to eat anything baked/cooked in aluminum cookware, however she also refused to sit in an aluminum lawn chair.

Can't make this shit up.

• sir82
    sir82

A lot of older buildings in general are susceptible to mold. If it is hidden behind walls or ceiling, and has a damp environment to thrive in, it can emit literally millions & millions of spores that no one sees - but they all breathe it in.

And Kingdom Halls in particular can be highly susceptible. A lot of older (80's - 90's) RBC projects and "quick builds" cut corners - just good enough to pass an inspection, but not designed to last 20+ years. 20-30 years later, there is a hidden roof leak, moisture gets in, and you've got a colony of mold growing where no one can see it unless they know to look for it.

Someone with a weakened immune system, or asthma, or other respiratory issues, could have a very hard time in such an environment for 4-5 hours a week, week, after week, month after month, year after year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit