Lost on how to respond...

by babygirl30 51 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

So an old friend of mine from the congregation hit me up today. The story goes like this when we were JW's:

- this guy used to be madly in love with me but I didn't see him as anything more than a friend

- we tried 'dating' but I quickly ended it after about 3wks, again, because I wasn't into him like that

- he continued to pursue me and/or stay a close friend years later

- when I was DF'd he cried...

Now I've been out for 8yrs now and have never heard from this guy. I found out that one of his siblings had passed and I sent him an email a year ago to offer my condolences. He responded TODAY like this:

Just opened this email I haven't looked at it in 3 years. This will be the one time, that I will speak about it. But I worry about you. You have been gone a long time. If I bumped into you out somewhere... I would say the same thing.

Don't you think its time to come back? I know it wont be easy, but face it this world is getting worse and worse and you have family and friends and Jehovah that still cares what happens to you. Seriously take that into consideration. No matter what you have done Jehovah has the ability to forgive you.

I am at a loss for words - oddly enough. Typically when any of my old JW friends hit me up with this malarky, I will respond with a short explanation of WHY I won't come back. But with this one, he is now an elder (was gunning for it back when we were hanging out) and so I know my usual response will NOT be well received. What can I say 'in kind' that won't be too preachy, but will get my point across that I am GOOD?????
  • Landy
    Landy
    Piss off would work?
  • babygirl30
    babygirl30
    I like that...but this guy is a born-in like myself, who doesn't understand that kind of frank speech! -hahaha
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Simply tell him that you wrote to offer your support. That you would explain why you are not going back but that given the way things played out (you were writing to offer your condolences) and how long it has been, you feel that is not sensible to change the subject so abruptly. That you know that Jehovah cares (even if you don't believe so) but you are shocked by the fact that it is obvious (by his wording) and by his response, that he doesn't care (he did not include himself or the other brothers in his statements, only God)
  • OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

How about:

Thanks for your concern. I'm good. Great, in fact. I don't know whether you can say the same as an elder now, knowing: (proceed to list all the reasons you left).

Take care,

Babygirl

Simple but effective (i.e., most likely, you won't hear from him again). I see no need to refrain from preaching. He did the same, with an emotional hook.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30
    That's where I am STUCK - he really did throw in a lil emotional 'hook' and I am the type that just cannot let that slide! I HAVE to respond...but I want to be smart about it, instead of my usual snarky ass self! And that's why I'm posting...to get some ideas on how how to respond yet get my point across.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Perhaps tell him something like you had been giving it (the idea of "returning") much consideration and were studying the Bible more than you ever had in the past. And then you found this "overlapping generation" new light to be unfathomable. It brought back to you what an older, long-time faithful (anonymous) JW had told you about "the generation will not pass away" and that if the Society ever revised that, you would know they had not spoken with God's Spirit & Blessing because that was their CORE doctrine -- we were living in the Last Days.

You probably personally don't recall the 1975 fiasco, but you could have researched it since that "overlap" change. (May 22, 1966 Awake!)

And then the "Purpose of the Awake! magazine" that said it would all be fulfilled before the end of the 20th Century. (Page 2 of every issue until about 1996)

Now ANOTHER change. How can this be Jehovah's Holy Spirit directing them to constantly make wrong predictions?

Then there is Luke 21:8 and Deut 18:20-22.

Beg him to help you reason these things out. Certainly he also knows how wrong it would be if you were supporting a "false prophet".

Good luck,

Doc

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Seriously take that into consideration. No matter what you have done Jehovah has the ability to forgive you.

Dear ____, It never ceases to amaze me how mere humans such as yourself continually make assumptions about the spirituality of their fellow man. They believe they have the authority to interpret and judge the status of other peoples relationship with their heavenly father and assume they are unaware or have forgotten about the forgiveness he offers to us all. Some even go as far as to insinuate that others are in need of an extra measure of his forgiveness .

Thanks for your misdirected concern and once again, I send my condolences to you and your family.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

he really did throw in a lil emotional 'hook' and I am the type that just cannot let that slide! I HAVE to respond...but I want to be smart about it, instead of my usual snarky ass self!

What?!.....After he wrote this?!.....Your a Friggin Jezebel.....LOL!!..

No matter what you have done Jehovah has the ability to forgive you.

Now would be the perfect time to be a Smart Ass.....OR.....Just ignore him..

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    No reply needed, just ignore. Unless you want to start something I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit