Anyone watching the handmaids tail?

by blownaway 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

@blownaway - are you kidding me!!! I'm blown away... hehehe

• Simon
    Simon
    Funny but Moss is a Scientologist. LOL She is in a cult but plays the character of living in a cult society.

Yeah, she must be so full of cognitive dissonance it's a wonder she doesn't act out a scene from "scanners".

The show doesn't draw parallels between their show and the Trump administration; the people that watch do that. I think this is mostly because of the female suppression showcased in the series.

Exactly what female suppression is happening in the US to make those parallels even close to justified? It's just hyperbole and political theatre, nothing more.

Maybe you'll be able to tell us what the pussy march was all about? I'd hate to think it was a perfect demonstration of how masses of people can be manipulated into believing a narrative that just isn't true and supporting a regime that professes to act in their interest but really uses them as puppets for it's own interests.

That's "handmaids tale" stuff, isn't it?

(I honestly don't know, I haven't seen it yet - but it seems to fit with what I know of it)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I read the book. In the book, a JW was part of a public hanging. Was this portrayed in series?

• blownaway
    blownaway

Not that I remember, they just put people who do not fall under their particular way of belief on the wall. Only particular religion I saw was June found a Koran under someones bed.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Disclaimer - I'm only on episode 8 of series 2.

First series was brilliant, as good as the novel with sufficient tweaks to make it contemporary. Second series is still visually arresting and totally bleak but the plot not quite as robust or believable even though Atwood is still involved.

But the acting across both is fantastic, Elizabeth Moss ability to convey such complexity with her face is astounding.

There's no JW hanged in the TV version.

• Sliced
    Sliced

This show grinds my nerves... but, of course, I am semi-hooked. I just don't like the really pissed off mood it puts me in after watching... I wonder why?

Under his eye... may the lord open... blessed be the fruit.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Pfft. It only took three posts before it was applied to Trump admin. I haven’t gotten into the show yet. But I’ve heard applications of it by late night talk shows toward Trump. If it’s just a thinly veiled attempt to make an anti-Trump political statement, then I’m not interested.

So honestly - is the show a political statement? Or is it a good story? I’m willing to give it a shot if it’s a good story with decent character developement ... and no glaring internal contradictions (like what Star Wars has become)

• scotsman
    scotsman

The novel was published in 1985, it’s not about Trump.

• Apostate Anonymous
    Apostate Anonymous

Even I agree that the comparisons to the Trump Admin are a bit far fetched. With that said, the show does provide a grim look at what this country would be like under a sort of Christian Fundamentalist version of Sharia Law. I would imagine this is the kinda thing Ted Cruz would wax his carrot to LOL

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@scottsman:

Right, but the series? Has it been bastardized?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit