Anyone watching the handmaids tail?

by blownaway 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• blownaway
    blownaway

I thought this was all about the 18th century. But its current or just post current times.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I am finishing season 2. I think it is a great and original show. Season 1 is based on a novel of the same name.

• blownaway
    blownaway

Tonight end of season 2. Its great but disturbing. There were a lot of WTF moments.

• jp1692
    jp1692

The Handmaid’s Tale is about what could happen if a theocracy took over modern America, kind of a slightly extreme version of MAGA’s goals.

Great cautionary tale by a Canadian author, Margaret Atwood. It’s all based on actual history projected onto the modern world.

• Simon
    Simon

Seriously, the hyperbole around claims that the current administration is anywhere close to some kind of all-controlling theocracy is just ridiculous. Can it please stop? It's just tiresome and boring and from now on, don't be surprised if these political pie throws are just deleted.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I love this show! The parallels to growing up under the "watchtower regime" is eerie. People make it about what they want. The show doesn't draw parallels between their show and the Trump administration; the people that watch do that. I think this is mostly because of the female suppression showcased in the series.

This show will definitely be around awhile. It's too relevant.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Yes love it. Brilliant novel and brilliant series. Elizabeth Moss great actress too.

Consider what it says about your favourite Bible characters from Abraham to Jacob to King David

Handmaid = concubine

I know, I know, all the apologists will argue that its not the same, that concubines were like extra wives with many of the rights of a wife. But really, how do they know that? Isn't it really just another form of sex slavery by another name (euphemism)?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I love how the regime is called Gilead, as is the watchtower society missionary school. Lovely how they name both after the city which the Bible claims: "Gilead is a town of evildoers, covered with footprints of blood." - Hos 6:8

Nice!

• zeb
    zeb

I began to watch it; but misery despair and what the hell is happening,.. I gave it away..

• blownaway
    blownaway

Funny but Moss is a Scientologist. LOL She is in a cult but plays the character of living in a cult society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit