Just finished reading COC whoa!

by Thunder Rider 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi,

I agree with the above comments that your next book should be In Search of Christian Freedom ... I thought that C of C was it ... but "In Search" knocked my socks off ... especially the chapter on blood ... once I saw how deeply corrupt the Watchtower system is, I could not stay any longer and planned my family's exit.

You quyoted Franz saying:

"To believe because others believe, is to have a borrowed conviction and a borrowed faith. To be genuine, and to lead to life, these must be the product of one's own mind and one's own heart."

That is the crux of the whole issue of faith, of Christianity, of what we ourselves must face ... very excellent quote, thanks for the post. - Jim W.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    "To believe because others believe, is to have a borrowed conviction and a borrowed faith. To be genuine, and to lead to life, these must be the product of one's own mind and one's own heart."

You are right Thunder no truer words have ever been spoken! And btw thanks for spoiling the ending for me!LOL

I've got to finish that book! What I've read so far has really been good. The stuff about Malawi/Mexico really struck a cord with me. I wrote letters to help the Malawi bros and sisters, or so I thought. Boy had I known back then about the Mexican situation I do believe my exit from the B'org would have been years sooner!

Here is something you may want to consider viewing, these tapes have been the biggest help for me in freeing my mind of any doubts I may have had about the dubs being right:

I really urge everyone to view these tapes, they are incredible! In the meantime I'm going to finish CoC and then read Christian Freedom.

KateVisit Smiley Central!

• Odrade
    Odrade

Let me add my little voice to the recommendation for "In Search of Christian Freedom."

pater has been reading me bits and pieces of it. It has a very long section on the cruelty and unscripturality of disfellowshipping, as well as many other "core" doctrines. He won't let me have it till he's done, but I've managed to sneak it from him a couple of times. It's fascinating, and it really does help dispel some of those deeply buried nagging guilt. I have almost no "maybe they're not SOOO wrong" doubting thoughts after having read Mr. Franz' books, and for that, I thank him (and others that I've met here.)

Odrade

• JT
    JT
    --but it was the intellectual and doctrinal dishonesty and manipulation that kept me from looking back when I did leave.

well stated

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    It was 1980 when I started to wonder for myself why things were not happening the way I had been taught. I was still active in the 80's but for the life of me can't remember hearing any more than whispers about what happened in Brooklyn. How anyone could remain in active membership with an organization that has become so calluse and cruel is beyond me. I suppose it is true that many are stuck because their family and friends are there. Those friendships though are forced, based on eronious teachings, judgemental attitudes and lies.

did we live the same life ???

How anyone could remain in active membership with an organization that has become so calluse and cruel is beyond me.

my family in a nutshell, I'm the youngest, how could NONE of them see it !!!!!!!

I'm on chapter 6, about have way threw the book, anyone who has not read it, I suggest you open the wallet and buy it, great read !!!!!!!!!!!

• acsot
    acsot

Ravyn:

I was talking about people who know what is going on and choose to stay becoz of power trips and ego.

Do you mean that you believe there are those who are aware of what Franz talks about yet still remain as a "true believer"? I don't mean the G.B., but rank and file ones. I was dumb and clueless for longer than I care to admit, and although I had many doubts and much hurt from the callousness of the elders and others, I figured it was my fault, my problem and that I didn't have enough faith.

If I had known then what I know now ...... !!!!

• shamus
    shamus

I know what it's like to finish that book...

It's only been a few months for me, and I want to read it again. It is a great relief and burden at the same time to really realize that you were wrong, wrong, wrong.

I will never forget the 70 plus year old man who had to go back to putting up wallpaper for a living... utterly disgusting. The WTBTS has nothing but bad blood on their hands.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Do you mean that you believe there are those who are aware of what Franz talks about yet still remain as a "true believer"? I don't mean the G.B., but rank and file ones

I don't think necessarily R&F, but probably elders and other prominent ones. They have a lot invested emotionally in their 'careers'. They're 'somebody' in the congregation. If they leave, they're suddenly nobody, and all the years of service that they were so proud of are now a waste.

• berylblue
    berylblue

In Search of Christian Freedom is even more powerful, more devastating than CoC. I'm only skimming it, because it is just too painful to really read.

Rosemarie

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Beryblue,

I sympathize with you. Joy and I read everything we could get as fast as we could get them. I remember being ANGERED as I read. Ray's books covered the issues with such reasonableness that I could not believe how dumb I had been.

But what is the alternative, STAY DUMB???

Remember when new publications came out at the assemblies and we were anxious to dive into them but after about two pages I would start viewing it as a theocratic chore to read this thing. By the time I finished the new WT publication I felt only relief that I had accomplished my duty.

How many felt that way reading Ray's books? I'll bet not one. How many read them when they should have been eating or sleeping? Probably most of us who cracked the cover.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit