If You're Just Here to spread Your TDS, It's Time to Say Goodbye

by Simon 42 Replies latest forum announcements

• minimus
    minimus

I have no issue discussing politics. I understand everyone has their point of view. Some people here and elsewhere berate you if your point of view does not agree with theirs. I think some liberal views are just nonsense but it’s an opinion. If people spout bullshit as facts or take things out of context simply to bash the President, it isn’t right.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Solution is simple. Eliminate political posts. There's other forums for that. I'm here for jw related news

• minimus
    minimus

If we only rehashed JW news this site would be diminished. We COULD NOT EVER talk about anything political as JWs . It’s nice that we can express ourselves on politics, humor or news events.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Let’s face it — there hasn’t been much “JW News” to discuss. I’ve said it before, someone has convinced the GB & their cronies to “tone it down” with all their toxic rhetoric about apostates and even STFU on controversial doctrine.

Remember when there was one hate-speech event after another? Tight pants. Bright socks. People split open like burnt hot dogs. Mentally diseased. Don’t make excuses to email DF family or even answer cell phone calls.

Now— it’s been DULLSVILLE in JW Land. They’ve ran to their Warwick hideaway with their tail between their legs. No more Rutherford-style bold denunciations. No more Freddie Frank style pontificating on Dim New Light.

All you hear is crickets 🦗

• jp1692
    jp1692

It's certainly true that many of the political discussions on this forum disintegrate into people throwing insults at each other, repeating half-truths and outright falsehoods. None of that is good, obviously.

But frankly, after coming out of a cult where none of us were ever allowed to openly disagree, doubt or even question anything coming from the WT leadership—all the way from the top GB members down to the local elders—I think it's extremely healthy that we can disagree and debate with each other on issues such as politics, which was also a forbidden topic in JW-land.

Respectful debate, disagreement and discussion is healthy. It's particularly healing for us as ex-cult members.

It's also a learned skill and doesn't come automatically.

As long as people maintain a measure of civility, I for one believe no topic of public concern should be off-limits; no cows should be too sacred to slaughter; and no idea, custom, or institution should be above criticism.

jp1692

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It’s a good thing Trump closed off China when he did. He bought us time to prepare.

Italy didn’t DO that and instead had thousands of Chinese flying back and forth to factories in northern Italy where those high-end fashion houses wanted goods ‘Made in Italy’ but imported Chinese workers to do it..As a result, Italy has paid and is paying a TERRIBLE price.

WE would already be Dead In The Water if anybody else was running the show!!!

• LV101
    LV101

I've 'heard' (not confirmed) that Chinese have been buying up lots of businesses in northern Italy so there's a big population already there plus coming/going to the New Year's celebration.

When Trump closed the China border to US many Chinese rerouted to Spain, France, Italy, Germany. He took a lot of heat from the Dems about it but did the right thing.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

I agree with those who say that discussing politics may be a useful part of an exjw forum, because it's another aspect of breaking free from the 'neutral' (haha yeah right) cult.

The problem though is that politics is a very location-bound topic.

Most countries do not have Trump as president.

So for many here the pro/anti Trump stuff isn't too interesting anyway.

Most countries also don't have two-party system that seems to have evolved in a toxic situation in which nobody seems able to cooperate and many people don't even sincerely try to understand the other's point of view. (Some comments in this thread are sad examples of that).

Sure, it takes practice. But with so many politicians and media showing exactly how civil discussion should not be done, I'm afraid it may be hard for people in general (and that includes us) to have civilized, meaningful conversations on (USA) politics.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

This happens not without reason.

Maybe you should aks too, to stop starting threads with this kind of toppic instead of asking stopping negative reactions:

G.

Do You Think Trump Is Doing.A Good Job Dealing With The Coronavirus?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As a Brit... Trump is not my President, neither is he the President of Canada so any discussion is academic for me , and for an ex Brit now living in Canada,such as Simon.

However does this mean that pro Trump posts are still allowed.?

If so, it would be very one sided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit