Why are the atheists on this site so hateful?

by HopeEverLasting 84 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Why is it that persons are branded as being full of hate when they simply find something not to their liking?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

OP:

Atheists is the wrong category - lots of atheists on this site don't comment on faith-based threads or choose to practice online tolerance of diverse ideas. The category you are attacking (?) is the anti-theists (and of them it is a subset of the verbal ones that you are offended by.)

'Hateful' is an interesting description and I'm not certain if your distaste is based upon substance (they are rude to you, disrespect your cherished beliefs or mock a divinity you hold dear to you) or style (the words are harsh, the arguments brutal and the tone is disrespectful.) When I first joined this site I was staunch LDS and I too found the anti-theists quick to demolish my posts and almost impossible to have a reasoned discussion with. I almost left.

I prayed to understand how I could best present the truths I knew and best defend God amongst this pack of wolves. While pondering I realised some things that changed how I engaged and responded to these often hurtful debates:

• When someone responds - no matter how ferociously or mockingly - they are showing a kind of respect, they are spending time to signal that not only is your idea interesting but it evokes a reply. Real disrespect is to be totally ignored.
    • I had no right to expect politeness when my posts came from a position of extreme judgment (non-believers are lost / punishable / wicked / unhappy and they have no hope in this life or the next unless they accept our Saviour.) It was I who was being presumptuous and was posting from a position of threat (God was on my side and they would be lost if they didn't listen) and hubris (no matter what they said or how cleverly stated, in the big picture they were either supporting God or Satan and I knew who I served).
    • I could be wrong.

Lots of love - an anti-theist

p.s. losing religion is very liberating

• Viviane
    Viviane

Zappa-esqe.... Perhaps you heard it at a "how to be a dishonest theist troll" seminar, because you certainly didn't see any such nonsense here.

• DJS
    DJS

There you go. @ Qcmbr:

"I had no right to expect politeness when my posts came from a position of extreme judgment (non-believers are lost / punishable / wicked / unhappy and they have no hope in this life or the next unless they accept our Saviour.) It was I who was being presumptuous and was posting from a position of threat (God was on my side and they would be lost if they didn't listen) and hubris (no matter what they said or how cleverly stated, in the big picture they were either supporting God or Satan and I knew who I served). I could be wrong."

Theists and Believers on this site, other than the occasional BKs, are almost always warmed over replicas of the Dark Lords and the bile we all left. In other words, they are typically end of time nut jobs who want to gloss over all of the really horrible qualities of their beloved (jesus), feigning humility while, once pressed, condemning all of the rest of us heathen atheists to eternal damnation unless we embrace Daddy's Lil Monster.

That deserves no respect. None. Keep it and your dearly beloved serial killer/mass murderer to yourselves. Or expect push back. Hard.

Simple, really.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    snugglebunny: Why is it that persons are branded as being full of hate when they simply find something not to their liking?

It is a way to shift blame onto others. It is victim behavior. They are so used to being a victim - it is their comfort zone - when they perceive someone is threatening them, they immediately victimize themselves, placing themselves back into that comfort zone that feels so good to them.

Certain theists (not all of them) have such a strong emotional attachment to their chosen god that they attempt to rationalize that attachment and claim that their emotional choice is not an emotional one at all. They want others to believe that their choice is a good one and based upon rational thinking. They need emotional confirmation that their emotional choice is valid

The problem arises because belief is emotional and not believing is rational. Apples and oranges

Evolution has nothing at all to do with emotion and everything to do with rational thinking. Belief has everything to do with emotion and nothing at all to do with rationality

So the 'war' is not between 'god' and 'evolution' - it is between emotion and rationality. Apples and oranges

The 'hateful' position belongs to the emotional position - the theists. The ones whose comfort zone is defined by emotional decisions, not rational ones

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    HopeEverLasting - "Why are the atheists on this site so hateful?"

Hateful?

Not really.

Sick and tired of theists trying to convince them they're wrong?

Definately.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Hopeeverlasting, it sounds to me like you were unprepared to defend your arguments, you were overwhelmed by great counterarguments and thus have resorted to bitterness and childish whining.

Active JWs do the same thing all the time when presented with evidence against their beliefs. They resort to mental lockdowns of the childish sort.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why are the atheists on this site so hateful? - talking about God and religion are sensitive topics, so people are sometimes going to have their feelings trodden on and feel that certain posts are 'hateful'.

But I think now's the time to put this in proper context.

Simon allows atheists, agnostics and religious people on his forum. We are all allowed a say on a great many topics. Generally speaking, we're treated well. Contrast this with how some countries treat atheists today. Merely saying the words out loud "I'm an atheist" or "there is no God" will get you the death penalty in a number of countries. A disgraceful situation, I'm sure you'd agree.

Religion is responsible, throughout the ages, of much intolerance, of being hateful to the nth degree. You're winging that atheist poster are being nasty, criticising your beliefs and your God, is as nothing compared to religious-inspired hate and intolerance.

FWIW, my advice to you HEL is stop whining when people criticise your beliefs or call God a twat.

Man up; suck it up ... grow up.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why are the atheists on this site so hateful? - talking about God and religion are sensitive topics, so people are sometimes going to have their feelings trodden on and feel that certain posts are 'hateful'.

But I think now's the time to put this in proper context.

Simon allows atheists, agnostics and religious people on his forum. We are all allowed a say on a great many topics. Generally speaking, we're treated well. Contrast this with how some countries treat atheists today. Merely saying the words out loud "I'm an atheist" or "there is no God" will get you the death penalty in a number of countries. A disgraceful situation, I'm sure you'd agree.

Religion is responsible, throughout the ages, of much intolerance, of being hateful to the nth degree. You're winging that atheist poster are being nasty, criticising your beliefs and your God, is as nothing compared to religious-inspired hate and intolerance.

FWIW, my advice to you HEL is stop whining when people criticise your beliefs or call God a twat.

Man up; suck it up ... grow up.

• DJS
    DJS

Dear god, Orphan Crow,

You are starting to sound like me. Victim behavior? Blame shifting? Emotion vs. Rationality?

I think I'm in love.

My work here may be nearing completion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit