I would tend to agree with Vidiot. As we know they realising as much capital as possible from property and streamlining things to reduce costs. I think the money is being put away to allow the organisation to mitigate against several risks including:
- reducing income from donations
- potential tax liabilities if their taxable status changes
- hiding funds from being used to pay damages and compensation arising from an increase in claims related to historical child abuse
- investing to offset reducing voluntary income
I think someone (or a group of people) have been raising the possibility that the big A may be a LONG way off, membership may full well decrease and how the hell is the org going to pay it's way. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been raised several times over recent years and received short shrift until one day someone had the balls to put some incontrovertible facts to the GB and scare them shitless.
- Cue Letts and his begging speech.
- Cue immediate stop to the global building program.
- Cue turfing out the oldies so Bethel is not a retirement home in 15 years time.
- Cue the consolidation of congregations into less halls.
- Cue the decision to make accommodation for Bethelites in the third world less attractive and equivalent to forst world standards.
- Cue the downsizing of full time Bethelites.
etc. etc. etc.