So Long Palmyra NY Hall

by mrquik 23 Replies latest jw friends

• mrquik
    mrquik
    Ah just more evidence of the work "speeding up during the time of the end". I helped build this hall. Was appointed as an MS & elder there. For years the congregation looked forward to the day of building a bigger hall, more centrally located. They saved for this new hall & we looked at a number of properties. They sold the existing hall, put the money in a bank account & moved in with the neighboring Newark hall 15 miles away. They waited for the society to help them build their long awaited hall. The society took their money, of course, then informed them they weren't getting a hall. They dissolved the congregation, sending some to Rochester locations & some to Newark. Is it me or could so many intelligent people not see this for what it is; a fleecing of the flock?
  • steve2
    steve2

Religious people are so very easily fleeced - which is why the sheep analogy is perfect.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Awesome! Im sure the friends are elated! Jeeehobers Chariot on the march, or something.
  • clarity
    clarity
    Like taking candy from a baby! Despicable bunch of liars!
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yup. 100% fleecing of the flock. Shameful. I just fail to see how the people at the top can sleep at night, or function as a human being.

• loneranger
    loneranger

Mr Quik...wow...what's the general buzz in the congregation? How do the elders feel being reassigned to other congregations? Seems like some may have to drive some distance to get to their new hall. And central NY in the winter....whoa!! They surely don't seem to really care for the rank and file

Where will you go? Thanks for sharing

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I wonder what would happen if those in a similar position were to simply say no to the Watchtower. Mass disfellowshipping?
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

What I remember, years and years ago. When I was 11 or 12 years old. We actually had a family trip planned for a weekend getaway to someplace we had never been before. But instead our local KH was aging badly, had to be replaced. Instead we agreed as a family to allocate the money for the trip into the local quick build which was coming down the pipe in the next year. (That KH is still there) But you wonder how many families/couples did something like this to help finance a KH build?

And then having it shuttered and sold off years later.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

No better feeling than donating for years to assist the local congregation only to watch your hall get sold.

All your contributions over the years amount to nothing and then the kicker is from now on, you will have to drive an extra 30 mins each way to attend your shiny new cong that has been merged with 3 others.

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever
    Funds down, lawsuits and slow economy. Cut backs, saving and streamlining. Smart move to preserve a place to worship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit