Losing a loyal friend of 14 years

by Still Totally ADD 29 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Stadd.... so sorry to hear this. We have lost many over the years. Our dog was 19 when we finally had to do what you did. Probably we waited a year too long. Rare time I seen my JW dad cry.

We have a LOT of cats now, one from a rescue,the rest we rescued ourself. We love them all.

Cats are more loyal than ANY JW. Peace to your family.

Snakes (Rich)

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We all been there and will again. Biggest fear now is a dog may outlive me if I get another

Remember the " need greaters " who gave up their dog. Comment from wife was how comforting the dog had been after a hard day

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Losing our dog of 16 years and our cat of 14 years was the most emotional time in my entire life and I couldn`t bring myself to ever go through that again .

Anyway any new addition would outlast me now ,so never again.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Just wanted to add my condolences. Been in that situation several times and while never easy, you did the right thing.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Reopened mind There's a scripture that says, "Go to the ant you sluggard" (Prov. 6:6). There should be a verse that says, "Go to the dog you disloyal one"! As much as the WT emphasizes loyalty you'd think they would take a lesson from dogs. As many dogs as we've had, none were ever disloyal, especially Morgan.
    Reopened Mind

Very, very true!! Its funny, the only time Watchtower reference dogs is either the scripture about stupidity ( returning to vomit) or to frighten the children that their pets wont live with them in paradise :((

You would think because loyalty is Watchtower's favourite virtue and since they love to use illustrations, they would exhibit the dog as the exemplar of "loyal love".

Oh, I forgot, dogs are "too worldly" to use..... they cannot be one of jehovahs witnesses!!!

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Losing a pet is tough. My mom’s Shih Tzu lived to be almost 18 years old. She lived a long and healthy life but it was still hard on everyone.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Road to nowhere Remember the " need greaters " who gave up their dog. Comment from wife was how comforting the dog had been after a hard day

😱😱 I wonder if a worldly person had to take up the slack there.

Thats just irresponsible, anyways, to give up your 'Little creatures'

PS i love your username!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    It's not fair that dogs live such short lives.

True. To be honest i never thought of this before, but if there was a God, then what kind of stupid rationale would he have used to determine that dogs should live 15 years, while turtles should live 100 years?

And why should a tree live 500 years or more, when it feels and thinks nothing?

This must be the same god that decided to kill all the plants and nearly all animals in a flood in order to kill a few humans. This is clearly not a genius.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

So very sorry for your loss, been there and done that. They ask so little and give so much, it's always really hard but when they're in pain, or won't eat anymore a responsible owner will do the best thing he can for them rather than prolong the suffering. Even so, I still find it hard to talk about.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Very sorry for your loss Totally ADD.

Like others here, I’ve also had years of comfort from my animals.

They seem to know when you need them, their dear warm bodies lean into you - there are no words rich enough to describe the sheer comfort of that sweet presence.

When I was fully ‘in’ years ago - I remember a similar article about pets came out, with lots of advice and cautionary finger-wagging regarding our attitudes towards ‘pets’.

I really felt offended. I was an adult, I didn’t need anyone to try and ‘manage’ my relationship with the furry members of our household. My relationship was entirely healthy...and I simple loved in the tenderest way, my little companions.

I’ve been watched over, licked and stayed close to when suicidally sad, lost and despairing.

Instead of going out and about as per their usual little habits, my experience has been of their intuitive awareness regarding my needs, simply not leaving my side....basically saving me from real lonely wretchedness in the dark hours of the night.

Yes, I prayed...and yes, I felt comforted by prayer...that’s how I go.

SO...it was my animal who provided a physical earthly presence that was medicine indeed.

Sometimes, it seems the Watchtower writers just want to have an opinion on absolutely everything...I have to say that particular article was one that raised my hackles.... clearly it’s not a closed subject up at WT HO.

In this time of the ‘end’ ( as they insist) with folk struggling, suicides on the increase both outside and inside the organisation, mental health under stress, climate crisis, critical world events and more - they write an article on how one should regard ‘pets’.

I’ve buried a couple of dear ones, who I love to bring to mind...now the grief has softened over a few years.

One day I’ll have to say goodbye to my precious girl and boy.

The Watchtower articles are OFFENSIVE.

It’s like listening to a know-it-all, who actually doesn’t know when they are out of their depth and are sounding irritating and tiresome.

Unbelievable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit