How Far Up The Ladder Did You Go In JW Land?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton

first talk at circuit assembly : 1957 top rung refused to climb: circuit overseer. was offered, but refused, despite assured financial benefits: that fully engaged CO wt schedule lifestyle was too controlled for my freedom loving spirit that had seen the nazi and commi equivalent.

Now looking at those on this dead end organisational structure: the taller they stand, the harder they will fall.

• fulano
    fulano

What were the assured financial benefits they offered???..

• fulano
    fulano

When we were offered missionary-service this wasn't " im frage". And missionary-service is much closer to the organisation ...they very hardly kick you out, so explain please..

• never a jw
    never a jw

a seat-warmer in the weekend meetings and some assemblies until I woke up, quite literally. Most of the times I fell asleep at least for few seconds. Then I had the pleasure to tell an elder that his religion was a cult without being called to a JC

• waton
    waton
    fulano: "what were the assured financial benefits offered?

DO and CO: " you will never have financial problems again " This to a pioneer / special pioneer couple, living on 45.- a month. giving 100 / 150 hours to wt service, plus looking after a congregation, maintaining a car, me, declining and asking sarcastically to myself : what financial problems ?

• fulano
    fulano

Weird approach from them.

• James Jack
    James Jack

MS 5 Years, Elder 21 Years, 14 of them as a Reg Pioneer, All positions on BOE, including 5 years as PO/ Coordinator, RBC Roofing overseer, Attendant Overseer for the Circuit and District, Went to Elder School at Patterson, finally on the Convention Committee. 36 years of Service, pissed away and lost. Struggling to make in my late 50's, working full time and trying to have a little something for retirement, although I will never be able to fully retire.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NEVERAJW:

Glad you told that elder his religion was a cult and there was not a damn thing he could do to you about it.

WATON:

So, they told COs and DOs they'd "never have financial problems again"?.....Well, I guess all those old-timers who were throwing their money around like confetti have passed away.

Have they figured out that all those affluent elderly earned their money in a healthy economy that is long gone? The religion is never going to see anything like that again.

• waton
    waton
    I guess all those old-timers who were throwing their money around like confetti have passed away. LgH:

Yes, these were the personal observations, recommendations of the two heavies at the time: I believe wt rotated DOs COs into affluent areas to give them that financial base, that allowed them to have that confidence to do the unpopular thing once in a while without the weekly golden***/green handshake. They also get a wt pension now.

*** golden handshakes happening right now as COs depart and new ones rotated in.

When we were offered missionary-service this wasn't " im frage". And missionary-service is much closer to the organisation ...they very hardly kick you out, so explain please.. Fulano

For Missionary/ Gilead "service" you apply, official wt documentation, not conditional "in frage".-- This CO offer for us, was evidently part of the screening process where the DOs.COs make recommendations to the branch. It happened after a stunning success (only as a catalyst) to turn a faltering cong around, that we were parachuted into as a "cong. servant", (still popular there, because we did not do anything, but the cong finally build their hall, stopped fighting, we underwhelmed them ha ha)

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We NEVER gave out a golden handshake. I always thought that the Elders did a lot of hard work for zero pay. I watched my Dad give of himself in the congregation, work a full time job with a lot of over time and raise a large family. Did he get a green/golden handshake? NEVER, he had to make it on his own, all the while giving more and more to WT. WT has discouraged going to college which provides kids the opportunity to get a better job and make a decent living. Then on the other hand they want you to give until it hurts (for "kingdumb interests). A prime example of WT double speak. One of the main reasons we exited...HYPOCRISY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit