Anyone else remember the Awake saying this?

by BottanicPepper 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I well remember the articles against heavy rock “metal” music. I was an elder at the time and I loved heavy rock music...it was my release from the stresses and anxiety of life. I believed the Org. Was the truth then , but I could see that this was just human reasoning largely culled from other religious writers.....

I still bought G&R c ds , played them in headphones. Actually they were a band that had a lot to offer, not just thumping rock. Their version of “Knocking On Heavens Door” and songs like November Rain and Civil War , show that they were a cut above the others.

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

Comparing guns and roses and poison to slayer shows the writer(s) had zero clue what they were talking about

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen that washtowel about not listening to rap or heavy metal. It hasn't started with that, either. They have always been against anything that is popular. Back in the late 1970s and early '80s, they were bashing rock music, "that evil disco", and funk music. Anyone that was young in the late 1960s probably knows about how the washtowel felt about the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Before that, it was Elvis Presley and rock music in general.

Not to mention, if anyone goes along with the rap and heavy metal (including Led Zeppelin, which they classify as heavy metal), they go after songs on flimsier and flimsier grounds until you have only 151 songs you can listen to (that number is subject to change if they add or delete Kingdumb maladies). Out of which I have found some that were every bit as "bad" as many pop songs, yet they will not throw those away the way they made me throw out the good pop songs.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't remember anything other than genres / types of music being mentioned in the magazines.

But I do remember some list going round of music that was deemed unacceptable for various reasons, some seemed bizarre and many relied on "hidden meaning" to songs:

Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water? Drugs ...

I can see someone on the platform mentioning specific artists if there was a local segment, but I doubt the WTS would open themselves up to e sued by anyone, and they like to be vague on things.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Atlantis didn't skip a beat with that answer! I just want to say for the record what an mind blowingly encyclopaedic knowledge Atlantis has!!!

Sometimes I wonder if he's one of these savants whose own brain is THE giant database & with such perfect recall he just taps out word for word answers whenever a question is posed! 🤣😂

🥂🍻You never cease to amaze me sir!!!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Simon But I do remember some list going round of music that was deemed unacceptable for various reasons, some seemed bizarre and many relied on "hidden meaning" to songs:

I remember going around to a "worldly head- banger*" neighbour (*actual term we used🤣) and forcing him to play "All Along the Watchtower" BACKWARDS to see if there was a hidden/Satanic meaning 😂. I also think we did a Beatles track, too? (Maybe the McCartney 'I am dead' one?)

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

The Beatles Song called revolution #9. Play parts of it backwards "Turn me on dead man"

• BottanicPepper
    BottanicPepper

Thank you so much everyone. And thank you for the links. I'm not going insane, horray. Or at least not over that. lol.

Atlantis, my hat off to you sir. I aspire to be this good with digging up the old light etc.

Thanks everyone.

Off to follow and save links. ;)

• blondie
    blondie

When in Vancouver, BC, I heard a talk given by a DO who was upset that some young jws had gone to a Guns and Roses concert instead of his talk. He compared going to that concert like eating some decaying raspberries. That was over 25 years ago and I still remember that.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

We had a CO play "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen during a circuit assembly. He was trying to demonstrate the dangers of "backward masking", the idea that bands intentionally recorded messages only understood when the (vinyl) record was played in reverse.

After playing it forward, he then played a recording of the same clip, backward.

He told the audience, "now listen - they clearly say 'decide to smoke marijuana' ".

I'm glad he told us in advance, because to an unprepared ear, the recording sounded more like "dgrtvdf sowooort maggitorushssss".

But hey, if the CO says it says "decide to smoke marijuana", who am I to deny it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit