Ever notice a lot of JWs don't have pets?

by JimmyYoung 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I was told by several elders to not get a dog when I was looking for one in the 80s. The end was close and we needed to focus on the preaching work. I know some have pets but a lot don't.

• LV101
    LV101

Yes -- I heard the same crazy and knew a couple without children and she felt they had no time for a dog or pet since they were committed to the cult -- she didn't work but auxiliary pioneered now/then. Wasn't there a cult WT article couple yrs. ago about dogs (pets?) and all the negatives of having one. Miserable, selfish, cult, wants all the JWs shekels, time, life.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Maybe they reckon people will get angry with Jehovah if the pets does not survive Armageddon

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

One of the downsizing and needgreating videos had a family getting rid of the dog. The telling oart was tge wiman saying how much she missed the comfort/stress reduction from a pet.

MY dog gives up treats to make donations ala caleb and Sophia

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Watching my cats play has brought me more joy than all the years in the cult combined. I was never joy in the cult.

• Ding
    Ding

The WT thinks nothing should interfere with meeting attendance and field service...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think that many hard-line JW's don't like dogs since they will sit in front of people and lick their genitals.

(Now that I think about it, if I could do it, I probably wouldn't leave my house).

Rub a Dub

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Shouldn`t your post RubaDub be in the Adult -heated Debate sextion ? LOL "Your terrible Miriam" ( RubaDub)

• alanv
    alanv

Anything thats any time away from Watchtower will be a no no.

• dozy
    dozy

I don't recall any illustration in the Societies publications or any JW dot Borg video showing a family with a dog or cat. Even the "New Order" ones tend to depict them petting lions etc rather than any domestic animal.

For any "strong" JW committed to the religion , having a pet , particularly a "higher maintenance" one like a dog , is difficult to combine with the hamster wheel of never ending Watchtower related activity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit