I'm writing a letter to my country's branch

by Ray Frankz 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

Hi everyone.

Well, I have some good news. After having a terrible moment arguing with my mom about the 1914 teaching and all it evolves (she get really upset and I felt great regret for starting the argument) she came to me next day and started talking with a much more open mind, and she talked about a lot of concerns too.

She and my father naivily expressed the wish to write to Bethel to ask about 607bc. I told in all the possible ways it wouldn't work. They insisted (believing the men who would get the letter would get as surprised as they were when faced the evidence) so I had to show them my PDF of The gentiles times reconsidered and I summarized Olof's story briefly. They got perplex and for the first time I think they started to see the Org as the powerful people-controller entity it is.

Well, reading the material for the meeting of this week in the workbook, I noticed the 'bible study' part is about 1914. The portuguese version of the workbook for the Brazilian witnesses had a reference to the new simplified Bible Teach book (I think the name is 'You can learn from the Bible'). This article about 1914 on this book is so poor, so poor, poorer than anything else the org has ever published. I checked the original (english) version on the website and I got a surprise. The original reference was to the actual Bible Teach book, which has a way more elaborated material on the bs teaching of 1914, 2520 years etc.

Anyway, just beacuse of this little reading I had an idea.

I've been always sure that no questioning about the validity of 607bc would bring good results. surely they would respond me with a reference to the watchtower and send a letter to my elder and circuit oversee to "take note" of me, or even check my beliefs. But I realized that I could face then with a more succinct questioning.

I intend to ask them about:

1) What proof do we have that the dream that the king of Babylon had held a hidden fulfillment besides the one clearly stated in the Bible by Daniel the inspired prophet?

2) If Jesus said that Jerusalém would be trampled by the nations, why do we assume that he was talking about something that was already ongoing instead of understand he was making a prophecy about the imnent second fall of Jerusalém by the Romans?

3) Maybe I will ask them why some material for the meetings difer from the original material in english.

Well, I've decided to do it. unlike all the 607 thing I don't think they will be so paranoid with this kind of questions. I will use the pronoun 'we' instead of 'you' in order to them not to feel intimidated and started their ad homini attack.

Any of you guys has ever sent such letter to ask abou the wt beliefs? Any suggestions?

• jp1692
    jp1692

Prepare to get disfellowshipped.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

^

sounds already like a disfellowshipping offense on apostasy

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Ray Frankz

I am a letter writer too. I have sent several letters so far. My wife is aware of my activities and has given me an amusing nick name as a result.

If you are writing a letter in your own name (which I would advise against). Be careful how the letter is written. It is unlikely you will get a reply to be honest, but never know. About 5 years ago, I wrote a letter about the fact that Jesus seems to be left to the sidelines alot. Strangely, perhaps coincidental they had an entire convention devoted to Jesus Christ the year after. I'm not saying my letter had a direct impact, but who knows what effect our letters can have.

Best of luck

• deegee
    deegee

I think it's best that you avoid the letter and instead either borrow a history book from a library or purchase a history book that deals with the fall of Jerusalem.

• zeb
    zeb

If you wish to read on the 607 thing then check out the book; "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" by Oloffson.

Whether there is day to year etc or not and Im not buying into that one there is revealed in this work a shining example of what happens to those who 'dare' to suggest that the wt might be wrong.

Oloffson was an Elder.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

JB - Prepare to get disfellowshipped.

I almost did a spit take here. Haha. Anyways, I was thinking the same thing. I almost sent a letter about blood (it was 9 pages long), then I learned from people on here, that letter would just go to my elders and they would be referred to deal with me. Well.....I already knew they weren't able to have an intelligent conversation about it so I didn't send it. I am not DF'd probably for only that reason.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I think you should take out the Oct & Nov WT of 2011, and be thumbing through it innocently, and sayd "hey, look what I noticed!"

Point out the way the Society makes a big picture of a tablet they think was cracked, and they can't tell if it was 'this or that' date, or what exactly was meant, and that there were two lunar eclipses within 40 years... (I can't remember the exact quotes, you will have to do the research, sorry)

THEN, and this is the simplest, most important point.... In one of the little teeny tiny footnote type statements, it says that there are thousands of these business tablets kept by the Egibi tribe, and there is one for every year a kind of Babylon reigned. They always put the date at the top (like we do) but it included, The King, The Year of his Rule, Where the stars were....

The WT said, if you use these, you will come up with 587 BCE.... It is simple.

To get dates, WT has to use things found by archaeologists.... Why are they always distracting people with questions, broken tablets, things written hundreds of years later?

There are tablets for every day.... 587 is the year.

If 587 is the year, there is no 1914... and that means? 1919 and the "choosing of the GB" is a bunch of nothing....

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Watchtower attempted damage control with a detailed article trying to defend 607BC. I think it was published around November 2011.

• cha ching
    cha ching

PS, do not write a letter, they do not care, thousands of people have written, they get DFd.....

I saw a video of these 2 Irish brothers used their savings to travel to NY to speak to the GB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jnmUuEsEnA

The one brother, John Joseph May, had questions (for one thing) about 1914... and another bout why Freddy Franz was DF'd. He "rang" Brother Barr (who had been a friend of the family for many years) and then wrote him with about 12 questions, never got an answer, got an "acknowledgement" but no answers.

They used a lot of money to travel to NY to speak with the GB.... they would not meet with them. You can hear this dear person tell the story himself....

Learn from history.

Best to you,

cha ching

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit