Did you ever experience true kindness in the Org?

by HereIgo 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Schnell The nicest ones never seemed to be the "strongest" though. They'd come in late, they were rarely in service, and they would be the first to help you in a jam. Funny.

Reminds me of some of the first person holocaust stories I've read. Oftentimes the " pillars of society" have the least personal integrity in the camps. As to the General population, it's usually, though not always, those on the bottom of society...the prostitutes, the poor, the tramps and "dodgy types" -who show the most compassion to the hunted Jews.

A bit like the type of good folk around Jesus.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I did experience true kindness from some dear older JW folks and I will always remember them. Most have passed away.

Other JWs may have come close to showing kindness but there was a bit of manipulation there.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There were good people within the organization. I can single out three individuals that acted toward me in a very positive and meaningful way. Their actions changed the course of my life. One of these was a JW. So I guess I would have to answer positively to your question.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I agree, the ones that showed genuine kindness and compassion were ones that did not have titles or privileges. The ones that struggled to make the meetings and had real life problems. These ones always treated me the best and the ones I was most close to.

• never a jw
    never a jw

There's plenty of genuinely kind and generous JW's. My hero happens to be a woman of low means, die hard JW with a huge heart The rank and file are quite good people for the most part.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Yes. A kind couple let me into their home for a few days when I was having problems with my (non-JW) family. He was an elder.

Another "Sister" had me stay over when my mom and dad got back together after 17 years. She was a make-up artist for the bible dramas. I assisted her in removing the false beards (glued) and tinted skin ("Egyptian brown") of the actors.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Similar to what you find in the world. Some exceptionally kind people, some exceptionally unkind, most somewhere in the middle.

• steve2
    steve2

When I was a troubled teenager, two elders were kind, supportive and expressed understanding towards me when no one else was around, but they "changed" towards me when in the company of other brothers and sisters. This left me confused and worried as if I had done something to upset or offend them. I had no one to talk to about this - yet it burdened me so. I feared if I said anything to them, they'd tell me I was ungrateful. So I bottled it up.

So, in sum, the two elders who I considered kind and supportive appeared to turn it on and off at will. As I look back on this sad and confusing experience, the lesson I learnt was that JWs love and kindness is, above all else, conditional - and sometimes you don't even know what conditions you've broken.

• blondie
    blondie
    I found that people that were considered "misfits" were the ones that reached out to me and others who needed a little support, friendship, but more importantly stayed my friends if their status changed or if they were encouraged not to associate with me because I was bad association (without any basis). They were mostly people the generation before me, 20 to 30 years older. They didn't care about being popular.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit