There will be a sliver lining to the virus

by JimmyYoung 32 Replies latest social current

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Prophets? no but history has dealt with this type of thing and worse before. Panics cause people to do stupid things. Selling off stocks the way they have been is not thinking straight. Once can buy puts but you just don't know if its going to keep dropping. You can also sell covered calls but same thing but to buy a call such as XOM at 22.5 strike price, which means for those who are not familliar with options is I can call it in or buy XOM 100 shares at 22.5 dollars a share any time in two years or just under to Jan 22 2022 and for that privilege I pay 17 dollars. I bought PSX call for 14.90 a share and can call it in any time between now and Jan 22 2022 for 35 dollars a share. I bought BUD for 18 call Jan 22 2022 to call in at 25 a share. Duk at 39 a share to call in jan 20 2022 at 45 a share. Using options allows you to leverage your money. I control blocks of 100 shares for a certain time at a certain price. If anyone has the ability jump in now. As Buffett said, when blood is in the water dive in head first, when people are all diving in head first get out. This is a generation thing or bigger. I did this in the 08 crash. I saw homes that sold for 250000 or a quarter of a million in Fla selling for 65k. I sold out in Kansas and moved to Fla bought a home and condo in Sarasota three miles form Siesta key. I rented it out for 6 years and then sold it for double what I paid for it. Same with my home. Doubled my money and my home I am currently in was free and clear on profit.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I believe Italy has a large population of elderly, especially in the poorest regions, this is inflating the death rate.

Experts in Australia agree, we need to lower the anxiety of the general community about this virus. The death rate is extremely low among the young, healthy population. It wouldn’t bother 85% of us even if we contracted it, the vulnerability remains as it always has with respiratory disease.

Don’t buy pallets of toilet paper.

Do practice good personal hygiene.

I cannot begin to fathom the power media has over the general population, I reckon a few fake headlines could have people stabbing each other in the streets.

• Simon
    Simon
    The death rate is extremely low among the young, healthy population. It wouldn’t bother 85% of us even if we contracted it, the vulnerability remains as it always has with respiratory disease.

To put what you said in simpler, more obvious terms: "the death rate among people it doesn't kill is really low".

So OK then, no problem!

How stupid. It's serious when anyone dies before their time and if you think it can't kill a healthy 40 year old, you haven't been paying attention.

People treating it as no big deal and not taking it seriously are the ones that are responsible for it spreading.

I don't think people realize how bad it is - sure, 85% have mild symptoms. But mild is from a certain perspective, that of needing ICU treatment or not. Some of those are still very very ill. Another 15% have more severe symptoms - some of those can die, you're in a bad way and there may not be a space for you. The 5% with critical symptoms need special medical care, ventilators and such like - those quickly fill up and if you think you're keeping the spot when someone rich and famous shows up, you have a lot to learn about the power of wealth and importance.

Already, in Italy, they are making life-and-death decisions because there aren't enough intensive care places for everyone. Maybe you are 50 or 60 ... should you keep the spot over a 40 year old mother of 3? Someone makes that choice.

But it's all OK, apparently. To some.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

If you think a healthy 40 year old is at risk, it’s you not paying attention.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

I'm just old and unhealthy enough for it to be a crapshoot if I catch it, but if Old People living in temperate climates where coronavirus thrives don't care about climate change and the fate young climate refugee families why should Young People care about coronavirus?

Everybody is selfish, just about different things.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just to reiterate what Cofty said on this thread and its important.....

China will need to eradicate their disgusting wet markets and join us in 21st century hygiene standards.

Yes absolutely the rest of the world's countries should be strongly pushing for restrictive controls for businesses like wet shops that sell live animals of various kinds who were caught wild and sold for either food, medicinal purposes or pets.

Lets assume that it was just one single shop like this in the open market place in Wuhan that started this virus, add the total lives lost, the damage to the world's economy and it makes for something quite clear .

• newsheep
    newsheep

What about people that are in need of certain meds right now? It's happening now. I needed Colestipol or the bile will build up in my body and then I die. My pharmacist said he had filled my order and stupid me trusted him. Two weeks later I go to get my pills which I have to take with every meal ( four pills per meal, three meals per day equals eighty-four per week) and I had the wrong prescription. Called back and am told there's a back order on them until April 1. The UK has been out of them since Dec.. So I had a prescription on paper and started phoning around and no one seem to have it. Finally we found four drug stores out of fifteen that had some left over. That took eight hours of driving and waiting for them to be filled. We also had photocopied fifteen scripts in order for each drug store to fill. Yes it was illegal but we were desperate. My pharmacy had let us down. They told me that there were tons of back orders due to China. This virus is hurting people in more ways than one.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

To put what you said in simpler, more obvious terms: "the death rate among people it doesn't kill is really low".

So OK then, no problem!

How stupid. It's serious when anyone dies before their time and if you think it can't kill a healthy 40 year old, you haven't been paying attention.

People treating it as no big deal and not taking it seriously are the ones that are responsible for it spreading.

I don't think people realize how bad it is - sure, 85% have mild symptoms. But mild is from a certain perspective, that of needing ICU treatment or not. Some of those are still very very ill. Another 15% have more severe symptoms - some of those can die, you're in a bad way and there may not be a space for you. The 5% with critical symptoms need special medical care, ventilators and such like - those quickly fill up and if you think you're keeping the spot when someone rich and famous shows up, you have a lot to learn about the power of wealth and importance.

Already, in Italy, they are making life-and-death decisions because there aren't enough intensive care places for everyone. Maybe you are 50 or 60 ... should you keep the spot over a 40 year old mother of 3? Someone makes that choice.

Funny how you try to lump me in as part of the problem.

I stressed hygiene.

I tried to ease some anxiety by simply reiterating a simple fact.

The death rate is very low for the majority who get it, regardless of age.

I believe that hysteria is the popular opinion, your response proves my point.

I have raised a child with cerebral palsy, that’s virtually a lifetime of me being acutely aware of lung infections being fatal.

I actually learned how to wash my hands almost two decades ago through daily visits to the ICU for two weeks, not from Internet forums.

I didn’t finish high schooI, but I have injected clexane and given enough midozalam and phenobarbitals to kill any person many times over.

With my experience of the medical and legal systems in this country, neither you or covid19 can teach me anything about wealth or importance.

Thanks for the otherwise entertaining, emotional response you gave, particularly loved the bit about the 40y mum.

Facts can actually be used to douse the flames of hysteria.

About 2/3 of the dead in Italy have had 3 or more underlying health conditions.

The death rate for those with no existing conditions is still well below 2%.

If I’m 75 years old with no underlying health problems, especially a good heart, I’d be very confident about surviving covid19.

While it doesn’t sit well with the current popular hysterical opinion, death usually happens via an inflammatory process in the lungs, when understood covid19 becomes far less scary.

A good a coughing and sneeze strength will contribute greatly to saving the lives of many over the next 6 months.

If your old and have underlying health problems, I’d practice strict hygiene and avoid public places at all costs, don’t go near children especially when it’s at its peak, probably only weeks or few months away for Australia.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NEWSHEEP:

I’m really sorry to hear that..I hope that you and others are able to get medicine and other medical provisions and devices somehow.

This virus situation is really having a snowball effect. It is a real eye-opener that we should not have outsourced every goddamned thing to China!!!.These f#cking geniuses wanted profits and everything cheap and now we are all paying the price.

What an Achilles heel this dependence on China has proved to be..This outsourcing should never have happened and I hope that steps are being taken to change things!

• newsheep
    newsheep

LongHairGal I will be having to go in to emerg this morning and am dreading it. This bile won't stop and I know it's bile because antacids only work on stomach acid. God I dread going in but am really sick now. Fucking China and fucking governments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit