Is shunning unscriptual?

by MrTheocratic 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

MrTheocratic,

Please, have a look to LEOLAIA comments in the linked thread.
    between the best analisys I ever found on this subject: historical backgounds, contextualized and comments insightful.
    https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/142548/can-have-some-help-re-shunning-scriptures-please?size=20&page=1

• zeb
    zeb

dontfitin:

8th Jan 1947 Awake! shunning is pagan. "all together foreign to bible teachings.."

others have posted the actual article on this site recently.

regards

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Still in had a brother who was never a Witness, who was a drug addict. I was very discerning in my association with him.

But you'd associate with Brother Prince Nelson and the whole lot of alcoholics and prescription addicts at the Hall?! Addiction does not make you a bad person...all humans are addicts given the right combination of circumstances we are hard wired to be so. Some addicts behave badly....some non addicts behave badly..

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Who did Jesus shun?

No one.

He did light up those more concerned with rules than ethics.

Think about it; the parable of the Samaritan.

Today who would the Samaritan be for Witnesses? Who do they loathe above all others?

Apostates.

If the witnesses want a modern parable to shock them into seeing Jesus' point, they need to substitute apostate for Samaritan in the parable.

I have a classic case of this in my own family, more about it later.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    This scripture says shun him.

No it doesn't. It says 'not associate', ie, don't go on a play date. Just because the JW cultists call each other 'Brother and Sister' doesn't automatically validate their cult as scriptural.

Having said that I don't believe the bible is holy or from god.

Shunning is inhuman.

I only believe in 12.5 of the bible...that makes me an eighth theist

• cantleave
    cantleave

Since when is waking up to the fact you were raised in a dishonest, controlling cult that ruins people's lives, destroys families and takes money from its members under false pretenses worthy of shunning?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Glad you recognise this as wrong Mr Theocratic.

Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again soon.

Kate xx

• Island Man
    Island Man

punkofnice: "I only believe in 12.5[%] of the bible...that makes me an eighth theist"

Dude, you should so put that on a T-shirt and sell it! You'd make millions! Seriously, I bet a lot of atheists will buy your T-shirt because it is a fair characterization of many or most atheists. Not everything in the bible is false. There are some true historical accounts and there are some valid points of wisdom and morality. But all the supernatural and superstitious stuff is rubbish. So it's pretty fair to say you believe in 12:5% of the bible and use the term "eight-theist".

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I agree with Island Man, "I only believe in 12.5% of the bible..that makes me an eight theist".

You should put it on the market, love it.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

If shunning assumes the shape of a "ritual punishment by not talking/phoning" would be very sad. The nasty "shunning" behaviour of the congregation should not be a reason for someones falling into yet deeper problems, suicide, drugs, atheism,...

Besides the considered aspect "purity" of the congregation, the personal development and future of a person is a indispensable and obvioulsy most important part of the whole matter concerning responsibilt especially for jounger members. Therefore a gradual form of disciplination withouth causing someone to stumble would be "a biblical" answer in a "community of disciples" like exclusion from taking bread or wine or.. But why everything has to be public announced at all arent there other measures that are more senseful.

Matthew prompts (Ch.18) the whole congregation to think about the consequences if one of the "little ones" or "wandering sheeps" would perish by overhastly reaction or judgments of "unmercifal servants", what is a warning not only for "elders", but for each "sister" and "brothers".

"It would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea".

Who is really appropriate to bring someone back on the "right" track? Only few women and men are really appropriate to do such an important job in a "community".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit