Somebody forgot where they parked

by JeffT 13 Replies latest social humour

• JeffT
  • Divergent
    Divergent

Malaysia Airlines leased these planes till 2008 and returned them to their owners (Air Atlanta Icelandic) thereafter. All three were legally disposed by their owner in 2009/10 & subsequently changed hands several times. It is unclear whether the current owner is a Malaysian or foreign entity. That entity may have since gone bust or disappeared, hence the request for the owners to come forward

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Nice to know how accurate and up to date that they keep airliner records. With all the disappearing planes, blown up planes, terrorism, evil governments (N. Korea!) and other random badness, you'd think they'd know who owns million dollar airliners! What good are the IDs on the planes if registering them seems to be optional?
  • talesin
    talesin

Plane fuselages would make for great housing. It made me think of Texas, and trailer parks in Tornado Alley (that's what I call it). I always figured a great shelter would be a shipping container, dug in about 3-4 feet, and then mounded over. Presto!

Have you ever seen pics of the airplane graveyard in the USA? I have the National Geographic. There are 100s, if not 1,000s of them. Great pre-fabs, instead of leaving them to decay.

: )

t

• talesin
    talesin

JWDaughter

My room mate and I had a discussion when I first viewed the story, and that's what she said! (me, that is, to him) .

• Divergent
    Divergent

JWdaughter:

Nice to know how accurate and up to date that they keep airliner records. With all the disappearing planes, blown up planes, terrorism, evil governments (N. Korea!) and other random badness, you'd think they'd know who owns million dollar airliners! What good are the IDs on the planes if registering them seems to be optional?

Malaysia Airports has known who the owner is all along. However, knowing who the owner is & tracing the owner are 2 different things. As I mentioned earlier, the entity who owns the planes may have gone bust & disappeared, resulting in the airport authority being unable to contact them

After all means to contact the owner has been exausted, the last resort is to issue a public notice. It is required by Malaysian law that this must be done before any confistication of property. They do not have to disclose to the public who the owner is. Should no one come forward to claim the planes by the deadline, the airport authority will then have the right to decide what to do with the aircraft

• prologos
    prologos
    It is probably cheaper to just abandon them than do the maintenance to get them certified to fly at all.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Divergent, I (mis?)understood that the previous owner was known and it had passed through a couple of other hands and current owners were unknown. I read about it elsewhere and so didn't follow the link here.

Weird how you can just park a plane for a year in a public facility (airport). Try parking on the side of the road or in a public lot for more than 12 hours and see what happens!:)

• kaik
    kaik
    If you look into the plane registration, you will see that these planes are 35 years old and not really usable for commercial flight even after retrofitting. Abandoning planes like that is rather common. Government is just issuing regular public notice prior scrapping.
  • Divergent
    Divergent

Re: JWdaughter -

Unknown as in unknown to the public, but known by the airport authorities. The key word is untraceable, as stated in the notice below. Whenever a parked aircraft is sold, the owners would notify the airport authority that the aircraft has been sold & to who so as not to incurr any subsequent charges. The airport authority does not mind however long the aircrafts are parked, as long as the charges are paid. The problem here is that they are not. If the owner comes forward & pays the outstanding charges & pays additional charges to park the planes there for another year, it would not be a problem at all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit