Should The Watchtower Be Blamed For Everything Bad Happening In Your Life??

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

At times, I read some Watctower apologists complain here that everyone blames the Watchtower Society for everything or anything negative in their lives. Sometimes, because of who is expressing this view, a few might jump on the bandwagon and attack the poster. But I wonder whether or not we at times need to deal with our own negatives about ourselves. Perhaps it's easier to just blame someone or something else for our own weaknesses or problems. I recently mentioned to someone that so-and-so was and is a "user" whether he ever was a Witness or not. But because he's a Witness, it's a lot easier to just blame his trait on his religion. Do you think some just don't want to take responsibility for their ways?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I like to blame the WT, because then I don't have to take personal responsibility. It makes things much easier.

• minimus
    minimus

Good girl Stinky! That'll get the ball rollin'.

• JH
    JH

The Watchtower took some of my best years away from me. I blame them to a certain degree. Waiting for the new world, wasn't my most productive years of my life...

• Uzzah
    Uzzah
    The Watchtower took some of my best years away from me. I blame them to a certain degree. Waiting for the new world, wasn't my most productive years of my life...

Simon took some of my best posting opportunities away from me. I blame him to a certain degree. Waiting for greater posting limits, wasn't my most productive years of my life... Uzzah - of the couldn't resist it class PS (by edit) - see post below for serious and far less sarcastic on-topic comments

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Man what's in the Canadian water theses days

No the WT is not responsible for everything.

They just made everything worse

Bwahahahahahahahaha

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I have been out long enough (5 years) that any thing wrong or negative in my life is usually best laid at my feet not that of the Org.

If I have not or am not in the act of fixing the negative thing in my life, it is my own fault for allowing it to continue.

Sure the Borg affected me and set me behind the eight ball in many ways, but it just means I have to work harder to catch up. Moaning and "woe is me-ing" doesn't help anyone.

Uzzah

• Eric
    Eric

Min,

You mention some one being a "user", and would've been, JW or not. OK.

For clarification, "user of drugs" or "user of people"?

The former can have many causes, can be justified, may even in some cases have beneficial outcomes. The latter is just vile.

Eric

• minimus
    minimus

I was referring to being a "user" of people. And whether a JW was such a "user", loser or abuser, the point is, that oftentimes, we just like to blame our lot in life because of being a Witness. I know disgruntled people before they became JW's. They were disgruntled then. They were the same as JW's and they are still disgruntled now. I've heard how some lament that they couldn't go to college BECAUSE the Watchtower wouldn't allow it. The truth for some of these is that they didn't go to college because they could barely finish high school. Yet, it sounds better to blame the WT....... Most of the people that didn't go to college because the Watchtower spoke against it, were probably most qualified, I'm sure. I don't want anyone to think that I'm bashing anything here.

• Eric
    Eric

Min,

Thanks for the clarification.

I am one of those whose education was stifled by the mindset of the JWs at the time leading up to 1975. Yeah, I'm that old.

Thing about that is, there is nothing stopping anyone with enough determination to go on with their education now. Sure,it won't be the same experience as doing it young, but it might even be better.

I'd also suggest that if I were complaining that EVERYTHING bad in my life was down to the Society and my upbringing, then I'd have to lay at least some of the positive things in my life at the same doorstep.

I lived several years of my life on the edge as a young man, certainly as a response to my being raised JW. Aspects of that carry over with me to this day and they make me unafraid of experiments, adventure, change, challenges. There has also been a debt to pay.

Which would I give the JWs credit/blame for?

Eric

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit