Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?

by paul from cleveland 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I have that answer quite unsettling.

I think this may be a fundamental difference between theists and atheists. The discomfort of not having certainty about everything is too unsettling so the possibility is rejected regardless of merit.

No amount of copy and paste about our DNA or common ancestor and whatever which change the fact in a relatively short period of time or milli-second in evolutionary terms can explain who one species went from cave paintings to putting a man on the moon.

The vast majority of the difference between those who made cave paintings and those that put men on the moon come down to incremental technological advances which in turn paved the way for societal and organizational advances, which further supported more technological advances. In short, we've had all the genetic machinery for the capability to put men on the moon for a very long time, it's just taken us a long time of writing down every generation's advancements so that the next had a little more of a head start. In short, the primary difference between the humans that were living in small tribes in caves and us today is that when we got here there were already schools and books explaining generations worth of knowledge to us.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

“Just because we don’t know today doesn’t mean science won’t figure it out in the future “.

I have that answer quite unsettling.

Why? if we are observers of history, isn't that reasonable? After all, just a few centuries ago we thought the earth was the center of the universe. Perhaps someone at that point said "well maybe eventually we will know if the earth really is the center of the universe", good chance people then thought it was unsettling to question that too.

Isn't it refreshing to be able to say "we just don't know yet", instead of coming up with fairy tale theories?

• Clambake
    Clambake
    Do you know what Alchemy is ?
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

come down to incremental technological advances which in turn paved the way for societal and organizational advances, which further supported more technological advances.

Somehow that reminds me of a certain natural process where small gradual steps lead to great advancements over a longer period of time. ;)

• Clambake
    Clambake
    So you think 6000 to 10000 years is a long period of time now ?
  • Mephis
    Mephis
    No amount of copy and paste about our DNA or common ancestor and whatever which change the fact in a relatively short period of time or milli-second in evolutionary terms can explain who one species went from cave paintings to putting a man on the moon.

In fairness, that's a history question rather than a biology one once the fundamentals of speech and toolmaking are in place.

• average joe
    average joe

Atheists actively preach atheism.

(no one has to ask about atheism they just show up and preach where others are)

Atheists try to convert people to also believe in atheism.

Atheist even have gatherings and groups for fellow believers.

Atheists don't believe in god and yet they flood religious chat-rooms to try and convince those that do that there is no god.

Yes atheism may not mirror religion exactly but that's nothing more than a distraction from the fact they are actively proselytizing.

If you dont agree... to bad.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

How does one acknowledging that there are still things we don't know and have yet to discover make them a theist?

That's one of the most asinine, idiotic statements I've read on this thread.

Clambake: do you actually know the definition of a theist? Because I don't think you do.

• cofty
    cofty
    Atheists try to convert people to also believe in atheism - Average Joe

How is it possible to "believe in atheism"?

Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in god.

1 - Christians make grandiose claims about a supernatural being

2 - Rational people pose challenging questions and ask for evidence

3 - Christians have no answers so they get angry and accuse rational people of proselytising.

That is what really going on here.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I have only read a few posts on the first page of this thread...

Regarding the Proselytizing/NotProselytizing debate... I have spoken with MANY atheists. I never once had a feeling that the Atheist was trying to convert me to his/her belief(s). In fact, quite the opposite.

Religious people, however, continually try to get me to their churches and study groups. And they try some very, very tricky means to do so.

In my experience, Atheists - for the most part - just logically discuss the 'facts' as they know them and seem to more-freely admit that they do not have all the answers. They seem less concerned with 'converting' me. The focus seems more focused on using and developing logical critical-thinking skills than on emotion and 'blind faith'.

They also seem more inclined to see the person as uniquely individually. And if that person is happy with (or substantially reliant on) their chosen belief system - and it's actually *working* for that person - maybe just let them continue and not pressure a change.

My strongly religious aunt worked for several years for a company run by prominent Atheists. She was reluctant to tell people that she was working there. But, guess what~!!?? She was so surprised that they were the kindest managers and owners that she had EVER worked for. They were tolerant of her Christian views and affiliations. They were as generous to her as they were to all employees. And this surprised her. A LOT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit