Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?

by paul from cleveland 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

My 2 cents worth , OK ?

To me , proselytizing is something religions do to promote their faith without giving any , concrete / substantial / verifiable evidence to back up there claims except to say you must have faith in their belief , whatever it may be,

Thousands upon thousands of religions that exist today , fall into that category without exception.

Evolutionists , and if I might take poetic license here , cofty , as this poster seems to have taken exception to , is quoting , or referencing to verifiable learned people in their field of expertise that corroborates proven scientific methods in many fields to support evolution as a fact .

Religion , faith , belief ,all fail dismally in providing any verifiable facts .

So in short , evolutionists do not proselytize , they present verifiable facts . Religion does not.

smiddy

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    To me , proselytizing is something religions do to promote their faith without giving any , concrete / substantial / verifiable evidence to back up there claims

Proselytize just means to try to convert someone from one belief to another. Whether or not you're using facts doesn't make a difference.

• shadow
    shadow
    Paul you're not alone. As usual there is no full disclosure of anything that is inconvenient to the case they are trying to make. The point is that they are telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If you don't believe it you are either ignorant or stupid or both.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Proselytize just means to try to convert someone from one belief to another. Whether or not you're using facts doesn't make a difference. - Paul from C

By that logic every teacher and university professor is simply proselytising. In your world the word has lost all useful meaning.

Evolution is a fact. It is as certain as the fact that planet earth is not flat. The evidence for it is overwhelming.

People reject it either because they are not familiar with the evidence - ignorance is not a pejorative word in this context - or because they fear there is a conflict between the facts and their chosen superstitions.

Evolution is not synonymous with atheism. Many intelligent believers accept the fact of evolution. It is only a minority of fundie - mostly American - christians and most Muslims who reject it.

The series of threads I am posting on the topic are setting out very simple bite-sized introductions to some of the evidence. I hope people will do further research on their own if they are interested.

I am surprised to hear you say you can't understand them. I have gone out my way to write the information extremely simply. In my opinion if you can't explain something to somebody with no previous knowledge of the topic then you probably don't understand it yourself. There is no more than 5 minutes reading in any of the OPs. I doubt you bother to read them. If you are genuinely confused by any of the OPs please ask and I would be happy to explain.

There is one huge difference between teaching science and religious proselytising. I invite you to investigate the evidence. Religion demands that you accept the dogma or suffer eternal loss. Rejecting evolution only leads to eternal ignorance. The reason that so many believers have become insulting and angry in those threads is that the facts challenge their beliefs. Too bad.

Creationism is a fundamental doctrine of JWs. Without it their entire religion collapses. I am not going to back off just because some people took creationism with them when they left the cult.

• Landy
    Landy
    Proselytize just means to try to convert someone from one belief to another. Whether or not you're using facts doesn't make a difference.

And that's not what is happening - all cofty is doing is presenting current scientific understanding. The fact people seem to be getting their knickers in a knot over it is indicitive of their doubts and conflicting beliefs - that doesn't change the science behind evolutionary understanding.

You could read the same in any science textbook - are they proselytizing too?

Or a book on newton's laws - is that proselytizing?

edit - cross posted with cofty

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

" evolutionists do not proselytize , they present verifiable facts "

Strange, the, that some of the foremost of them admit that if there is one thing they are, then it is being great story tellers.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Okay, let me look again.
  • DJS
    DJS

Paul from Cleveland,

I think I get your point. Would you have had the same view if Cofty's OPs had started off with "The Evidence Supports Evolution?" or something to that effect, rather than "Facts"?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

TheOldHippie,

Strange, the, that some of the foremost of them admit that if there is one thing they are, then it is being great story tellers.

There is nothing like a good story. And if it turns out to be true, Wow!

Now OldHippie, you promised the forum we'd all go the lake for the weekend and smoke some premo shit.

When are you going to deliver? I even bought a new bong.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    • There is no church of evolution
    • There is no contract to sign into that swears you to believing it (ie baptism or billion year contract)
    • Evolutionists don't offer free home biology study.
    • Evolutionists won't behead anyone for not believing
    • They aren't counting their hours for speaking about evolution
    • I guarantee no person believing in evolution has ever knocked on someones door in the morning, or traveled around the globe trying to establish churches of evolution.

You comparing presenting science based evidence to "proselytizing" is utterly ridiculous.

And cofty is right

Evolution is not synonymous with atheism. Many intelligent believers accept the fact of evolution.

So often it seems evolution is implied synonymous with atheism and then both are presented as some sort of "religion". The problem is when you don't take of the God/religoous glasses everything appears a certain way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit