Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?

by paul from cleveland 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Okay, let me look again.

Best thing I've read for days!

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

A TRUTH isn't always the same thing as a FACT.

A truth can sometimes be subjective and can depend on the persons point of view.

A fact is always a fact, no matter the perspective.

Truth: "It's cold outside!"
    Fact: "It is 50 degrees Farenheit outside."

For some people, 50 degrees F is cold, so staying, "It's cold outside!" is a truth...for them and others like them. However, someone from Siberia might think 50 degrees is quite warm.

That's why it's important to deal with facts and not truths.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This what I would call a nonsensical troll thread.

Way to go Paul.

In the vein of intellectual honesty we should demean open critical thinking upon psychical evidence as in biological evolution..

In comparison we should have greater respect and value for ancient mythological beliefs than scientific inquiry.and investigation.

Higher education and cumulative knowledge is the work of the devil after all. .

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Crofty,

You're arrogance is truly astounding, how dare you use verifiable facts and multiple lines of evidence to support your conclusions - all the while propagating informed opinions and making an effort to understand the necessary principles at hand on any given topic. Why the gull! The nerve!

First it starts with evolution - next thing we know you'll be promoting science!!! DOES YOUR DEBAUCHERY KNOW NO BOUNDS?!!!

• Clambake
    Clambake

Evolution doesn’t explain an orderly universe with suitable physical laws, A fine-tuned universe, including initial conditions and physical parameters necessary for carbon-based life, a suitable planet, such as Earth, orbiting a suitable star and capable of supporting life and the existence of life in the first place. It also doesn’t explain the self-awareness of man and how one creature seems to have domain over this planet.

Believing in something that exists outside of time and space isn’t really as unreasonable as it sounds.

Theism is more about the why, science is more about the how.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    First it starts with evolution - next thing we know you'll be promoting science!!!

Look evolution is one thing, but promoting science is where I draw the line.

So go ahead, make my day...

Image result for dirty harry

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Evolution doesn’t explain an orderly universe with suitable physical laws, A fine-tuned universe, including initial conditions and physical parameters necessary for carbon-based life, a suitable planet, such as Earth, orbiting a suitable star and capable of supporting life and the existence of life in the first place.

Evolution is the study of speciation and has nothing to do with cosmology or abiogenesis. So, in that sense, you are correct. Evolution doesn't explain these things because by definition it doesn't attempt to explain those things.

It also doesn’t explain the self-awareness of man and how one creature seems to have domain over this planet.

Yes, it does. Natural selection. A species that is self-aware is more likely to survive and dominate over a species that is not self aware.

If you want to talk about one creature having domain over this planet, I suggest you look at insects. At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion (10,000,000,000,000,000,000) individual insects alive.

Believing in something that exists outside of time and space isn’t really as unreasonable as it sounds.

It's not unreasonable if you have evidence for what you're claiming. Do you?

• Half banana
    Half banana

Theism may be about the "why" of things but is bears no factual evidence for its holy speculations.

If you wear a defender of the faith hat, evolution looks like an attack upon your person because it undermines your pride and joy in irrational belief.

If information comes to you having a receptive student mind, as an assessor of factual evidence; evolution is a tried and tested scientific theorum upon which we can build further insights into human health, medicine and longevity.

Medical science has already done so to the benefit of us all.

Since when did creationist belief help mankind in any way?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Evolution doesn’t explain an orderly universe with suitable physical laws, A fine-tuned universe, including initial conditions and physical parameters necessary for carbon-based life, a suitable planet, such as Earth, orbiting a suitable star and capable of supporting life and the existence of life in the first place. It also doesn’t explain the self-awareness of man and how one creature seems to have domain over this planet.

oh my. I don't know where to start with this. I think you have listened to one too many Sunday talks. How do you define "fine tuned"?? Do you know the earth has literally destroyed itself in 5 mass extinctions? It was not fine tuned, it was a mess and still is in ways. it wasn't created for people, we've been here in a fraction of the last second of its existence.

Lets take probably the biggest one, some 251 million years ago when 96% of earths species were lost.

Known as “the great dying”, this was by far the worst extinction event ever seen; it nearly ended life on Earth. The tabulate corals were lost in this period – today’s corals are an entirely different group. What caused it? A perfect storm of natural catastrophes. A cataclysmic eruption near Siberia blasted CO2 into the atmosphere. Methanogenic bacteria responded by belching out methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Global temperatures surged while oceans acidified and stagnated, belching poisonous hydrogen sulfide. “It set life back 300 million years,” says Schmidt. Rocks after this period record no coral reefs or coal deposits.

Doesn't sound like fine tuning to me.

Galaxies collide, asteroids plow into planets, how is that fine tuned?

Also earth is special but not as special as the watchtower is telling you. There are many more planets in habitable "Goldilocks" zones than we ever knew in the past.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Evolution can't explain why Han Solo had to be frozen in Carbonite! Therefore, Evolution isn't true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit