Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?

by paul from cleveland 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It's disingenuous to liken acceptance of evolution to belief in a religion - after all, Cofty doesn't murder, shun or disinherit those that, after reviewing the evidence, choose not to accept evolution.

As another poster said, Cofty is laying out and explaining the facts.

True, proclaiming evolution to be a fact is contentious, but evidence is used to support this claim.

People who don't accept evolution are free to show where Cofty has gone wrong, again using evidence to support their argument ...

• freemindfade
  • talesin
    talesin

Some people can take a condescending tone, at times. I'll not single out Cofty, as he is not, in my opinion, the main 'offender', and there is no need to single out any individuals. I don't care for that type of talk, because I consider it to be ad hominem (though others argue that tone is not directed at the person - whatever).

I do NOT think that departing facts about science is proselytizing, and think that we could all relax a bit about the issue. Let's keep the pot-stirring to a minimum. Xtians - stop whining. Atheists - lose the 'tude. Let's all try to play nice for a while, we're a support group. Yeah, things can get heated - and then it can be water under the damn.

It's easy.. The *real* hippies know how that works; they are my tribe in RL, and taught me a lot about focussing on the important issues, and letting go of petty differences. Why would I want to mess with anyone's buzz? Especially mine. : D .

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Exactly what Talesin said.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Yes, it was triggered by Cofty's series of topics but not just his. I couldn't articulate the uneasy feelings I had every time I saw "Evolution is a Fact #" until I saw the thread "How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?" I realize it's the same feeling.
    I'm still trying to find the words... Closed minded arrogance? I'm right you're wrong? You're stupid if you don't believe like I do? These descriptions aren't exactly representing my feelings but they are something along these lines.

So if we had a series of threads with titles like:

• The Earth Orbits the Sun Thanks to Gravity is a Fact
    • The Earth is an Oblate Spheroid is a Fact
    • Our Vision Can Only Detect a Small Part of the Electro-magnetic Spectrum is a Fact

then would you be quite so offended?

I understand the argument that statements worded like this could be viewed as dogmatic and condescending however it sounds to me like you are getting flustered because the statements refer to evolution. I think if it was any other less emotive subject then you would be fair less concerned.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    • The Earth Orbits the Sun Thanks to Gravity is a Fact
    • The Earth is an Oblate Spheroid is a Fact
    • Our Vision Can Only Detect a Small Part of the Electro-magnetic Spectrum is a Fact
    then would you be quite so offended?

Excellent point simply put
  • juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Wait a second. The earth orbits the sun? I though the world revolved around creationists!
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Some people can take a condescending tone, at times.

Trying not to offend theists like...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its easy to demean something that you don't understand or are not conceptually willing to understand/comprehend , when it doesn't offer what religion can, such as redemption from your sins, eternal life in a earthly paradise, those are things that evolutionary science could never possibly offer .

Proselytizing religion is essentially propagating human ignorance, fear and superstitions to effectualy appeal to human emotions.

Spiritualism originated and rests in human ignorance and sustains itself upon that ignorance.

The question remains what appreciative values does science offer humanity in comparison to what supernatural beings can offer or the men who are said to be connected spiritual seers to these gods ?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

On the 'condescending' thing. Would it be useful to have a short series of evolution 'postcards'? Just the main bullet points in a short word, pig picture format?

I'd have thought that really would seem patronising but perhaps there's a call for it.

Genuine question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit