Toasted daughter: Why Jephthah almost certainly sacrificed his daughter to a complicit Jehovah

by Diogenesister 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Jehovah's witnesses insist that Jephthah did not sacrifice his daughter to Jehovah. This is important to them because, rarther than Jephthah just being a random bad person, Jehovah was very much in on the deal. After all, he made the promise to Jehovah that he would "offer up as a burnt offering" on his return the first thing to come out of his house if Jehovah would give the Ammonites into his hands in Battle, and since they were this makes Jehovah complicit.

The Isrealites had been getting a good thrashing of late, and the Gilead Elders (Oh boy) had come out to ask Jephthah, the rejected son of a prostitute (wouldn't you know it) and renown soldier, if he would lead the Isrealites into battle for them.

This is when Jephthah makes the deal with Jehobo, and it all centres on the word for "burnt offering", which is given as "olah". Now "olah" is used two other times in the Bible. Interestingly, on both occasions someone was gonna get a roasting - the first time when Abraham offers to sacrifice Issac to Jehovah, and the second time when Saul threatens to sacrifice Johnathan. This time to placate Jehovah, since Johnathan had broken a rule on fasting after a fortunate outcome in battle. Saul feared that without a human offering Jehovah would be too angry to allow them to complete their winning streak.

On both Occasions God, or man, intervened to prevent the offering. In the case of Jephthah, his daughter requested two months grace to bewail "her virginity", you would think that someone in that time could have worked out a deal to stop it! And why was Jephthah offering the first thing "out of his house"??? He must have known it was at least likely to be human, which makes you think human sacrifice wasn't unheard of amoung the Isrealites, if they wanted something from God badly enough, that is.

The witnesses insist that this daughter was merely offered up in a spiritual sense, to serve at the temple, perhaps.They claim she went to bewail she would not marry- not her impending death. But since the Jews at that time had no concept of an afterlife, or any life, but this one, having children meant, essentially, your immortality. To this day having children is incredibly important to Jews. Since she was Jephthah's only child, it meant he too would have no descendents to mourn him.

As to the Witness interpretation, the guys who wrote the Hebrew scriptures aren't having any of it. The modern Jews completely accept this was a human sacrifice. They know that their word "olah" means one thing. In fact I believe it's the root of the word "holocaust", coined by author Ellie Weisel, an "offering up" of the Jewish people. Despite scriptures prohibiting the practice, like polytheism, human sacrifice was definately practiced by ancient Isrealites, and there is evidence of both scattered throughout the Bible.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Plus, the NWT is the only Bible I know of that says that people would thereafter go to "give commendation" to Jepthas daughter. Every other Bible I've seen including the original Hebrew says that they would go to 'mourn' her.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Yep. This was one I always felt they twisted. Part of my early waking up to the bible being an atrocious piece of garbage.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Yep, what fmf said.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Jeptha probably didn't exist in real life. Like so many characters in the bible, a fictitious allegory, metaphor or something divorced from reality.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

At least they didn't cut her up and send a piece to each tribe of Israel like they did to the concubine mentioned in Judges chap 19 vs 29:

29 When he reached his house, he took the slaughtering knife and took hold of his concubine and cut her up limb by limb into 12 pieces and sent one piece into each territory of Israel. 30 All who saw it said: “Such a thing has never happened or been seen from the day that the Israelites went up out of the land of Egypt down to this day. Consider it, take counsel, and tell us what to do.”

When I read that bible account from god's inspired word and meditate on it, it really does make me feel closer to jehober!just saying!
  • EverApostate
    EverApostate

Thanks eyeuse2badub. This is one verse to meditate and throw up
    Judges chap 19 vs 29: When he reached his house, he took the slaughtering knife and took hold of his concubine and cut her up limb by limb into 12 pieces and sent one piece into each territory of Israel

And JWs proudly say that they don't watch R rated movies and hate violence.

I believe with all certainty that Jephthah's daughter was burnt alive or at least this is what the Bible means .

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    At least they didn't cut her up and send a piece to each tribe of Israel like they did to the concubine mentioned in Judges chap 19 vs 29:

Yup, Judges is a particularly unpleasant work of fiction.

I fear, though, there May be some element of truth to some of the stories.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Neaty B.Plus, the NWT is the only Bible I know of that says that people would thereafter go to "give commendation" to Jepthas daughter. Every other Bible I've seen including the original Hebrew says that they would go to 'mourn' her.

Outrageous example of changing The meaning totally. NWT is not a translation just another piece of their propaganda.

The particularly rambling point I was trying to make, too, was that Jehovah really was complicit in the whole thing, which is why Jehovahs Witnesses are so keen to outright change the Bible translation.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

The moral of the story, be careful what you say to God and what you promise to him...he will hold you to it...In the case of Abraham, God asked for his son...& Abraham went willingly...but it wasn't his idea...God read his heart and said, well I know he doesn't want to give up his son, but looks like he's gonna do it...so God intervenes...

Now Jep, he made a promise...& so his yes has to be yes...I don't see anything in the bible that says God wants human sacrifices...one thing, God did warn ya...

Lets' take a look a Uzzah, it all looked innocent, he just tried to keep the Ark from falling...but the rationale of a JW would think...well God told many how it should be moved, not touched by human hands, must be carried on polls by humans...and so his heart did not have a pure motive (only God would know that)....

The JW's can't really explain this scripture about Jep & his daughter...because it does seem like she was toast...JW's can't wrap their heads around that...No not OUR JEHOVAH...he doesn't kill or accept human sacrifices...No, say it isn't so...

Just like they think God don't change his mind...yes he did...many times...God is not a Golden Calf...that don't hear or think...

Again, the moral of the story, don't promise nothing to God you can't or won't deliver.

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit