Using Illegal Means for Righteous Activism

by John Davis 103 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jp1692
    jp1692

JD, I notice that you didn't answer my question.

• John Davis
    John Davis

Ok JP they do comply with the court orders after they have exhausted their rights to appeal. In the Lopez case they exhausted their appeals and are complying. Other than what I can read in the court records that is all I can speak of. I don't answer for watchtower. I can only speak for myself, if I was in a similar situation I would exhaust all of my rights and once I have done so I would then comply.

They will normally file things with the court under seal. You can't do that with a deposition, how can you appeal a decision about the right to depose someone if the deposition has already occurred. You can't unring that bell.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    JD: they do comply with the court orders after they have exhausted their rights to appeal.

That's your answer?!?

I think you're just being evasive. So I'll restate my question and revise it for clarity: Why don't the WTBTS' leaders simply just cooperate the first time when asked to by judges via court orders?

Why obfuscate? Delay? Appeal? If they truly have nothing to hide, why not cooperate and be transparent?

• John Davis
    John Davis

I will answer your question. I don't know why they would Delay, Appeal or obfuscate. I am not them. I have no idea why they would do those things. You may feel that it is not right, I may feel that it is not right. everyone on here may feel that it is not right. But it is legal.

So my question goes to you. Do you feel the same way about the Lewis in the Lewis case that she and her counsel was delaying or obfuscating the administration of justice by not complying with the judges order?

• jp1692
    jp1692

JD, thank you for finally answering my question.

I'm not familiar with the Lewis case nor do I care to familiarize myself with the details of it.

As I, and many others here, have clearly said: what is legal is not always right. I've made my well-thought out position on this clear.

I'm curious. What's your dog in this fight? Why do you care if people "use illegal means while performing their activism"?

Please explain. It would be very helpful.

• John Davis
    John Davis

I think that breaking the law for any reason is not right. I know that we all break laws from time to time, we all speed or park where we aren't supposed to, but willfully breaking of a felony is wrong no matter what the reason behind it is.

I think in most modern countries the governments have set up laws that allow you to demand change in legal ways. They will allow you to file petitions, speak to legislatures or go to court. Those are all legal and valid ways to get changes to occur, and that people don't need to resort to illegal means if it is truly a violation of basic human rights.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    JD: I think that breaking the law for any reason is not right. ... willfully breaking of a felony is wrong no matter what the reason behind it is.

OK. Now we know your thoughts. You've heard ours and it's pretty much clear that you don't agree with the general consensus of the forum members.

We haven't changed your mind and you certainly haven't changed ours.

Good talk!

• John Davis
    John Davis

And I was not planning on giving my opinion till you asked for it. Like I said I wasn't trying to say that anyone was right or wrong, you specifically asked me for my opinion. I knew I wasn't going to change anyone's mind nor was that my goal. I wanted to just get opinions.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    John: I wanted to just get opinions.

Why?

• jp1692
    jp1692
    JD: I wanted to just get opinions.

Well you got 'em!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit