A philosophical question .... what does the word God mean to you personally ?

by Finkelstein 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Or maybe the true definition of God is this $$$$$$$$$$$

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

"God" is a convenient place holder to fill in gaps. If you believe the Abrahamic religions it had been told to you what it is. But before monotheism there was polytheism. The god idea was not so standard as the one guy who did it all.

If we encountered a far more advanced civilization than us from another solar system they would likely seem "godlike" to us. God wasn't lonely and created man. Man was lonely and created God. Its a blanket answer to "I don't know" or "I don't understand". An interesting exercise in imagination it has been hijacked to be more than a myth and gap filler.

• titch
    titch

To me, the word "god" is just that. A word. It is a word, in the English language, that takes the place of, or represents, basically, a concept, an idea, in one's own mind. "God" is whatever YOU think that he, or she, or it, is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here's an experiment to try. I remember, back in my 4th Grade year, our teacher told the class about something that she, and some of her college room-mates did one time. She took a piece of blank paper, or maybe two or three. And, she put down the word "white" on those papers, 500 times. She said that after about the 200th time of writing down the word "white" that the word---white---failed to have any meaning, in her mind. So, try that---get some papers, and write down the word "god" (Or, God", or GOD, however you want to write it) 500 times. Probably after the 200th, or maybe the 300th time writing the word "god", it'll no doubt fail to have any meaning, in your conscious mind. So, perhaps that's a lesson. Maybe it's best to NOT write the word "God" on a piece of paper too many times! It mind "numb" your mind to the word. Perhaps. Bye, and Best Regards to all

Titch.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

God was someone that I had a one sided relationship with for thirty years. I decided that was long enough, if he wanted to have a relationship with me, he had to put in a little more effort. Fifteen years later I'm still waiting, I guess he wasn't interested.

• Landy
    Landy
    God was someone that I had a one sided relationship with for thirty years. I decided that was long enough, if he wanted to have a relationship with me, he had to put in a little more effort. Fifteen years later I'm still waiting, I guess he wasn't interested.

It was your fault - you obviously didn't put enough effort in!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    A loveless father that left the family to struggle and die, despite them still loving him dearly/
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra
    It's a pretty empty word. Sad because I spent so many years believing it was important.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i might as well believe in god.

i believe in the loch ness monster, fairies, thomas the tank engine. angels, father christmas. the devil. superman.

so it makes sense to hedge my bets.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Stan. Don't blaspheme Thomas the tank engine...or I'll come on my unicorn to put you straight with spaghetti and meatballs
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A loveless father that left the family to struggle and die, despite them still loving him dearly

Good one Punk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit