A philosophical question .... what does the word God mean to you personally ?

by Finkelstein 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Grey Goose
    Grey Goose
    No, you cannot know, but for me, I think it's just something/someone to hang all are hopes, fears, and desires on.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Fisherman, Evidence? Jesus believed that there was a global flood during the time of a man named Noah. Archeological evidence, botanical evidence and geological evidence refutes the possibility of there being a global flood in that time period. I got nothing against Jesus or those that love and follow Jesus' teachings, but I think this is an uncomfortable truth that we all must ponder over.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    No, you cannot know,

You can.

• Grey Goose
    Grey Goose

I'm sorry, you have totally contradicted yourself.

anyway, i was just responding to the OP question, what it means to "you PERSONALLY"..

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

When we were kids we all had a blanky (blanket) or favorite teddy bear that we took everywhere, talked to, or slept with. We clutched it tightly during times of uncertainty or stress. As adults we can't carry around that blanky or beat up teddy anymore (at least not if we want to be regarded as sane by our peers). So people carry around this faith in an invisible, all powerful, higher being that gives them a comfort quilt to wrap themselves in during hard times or battles with health. I think there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I no longer rely on that avenue of comfort. I prefer the cold, harsh reality that there is an incredibly high probability that there is nothing after death. I value every second of my life now and feel a tremendous sense of responsibility to not waste it.

Mortality sucks, so do what you have to do to be happy and comforted in your own way.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I'm sorry, you have totally contradicted yourself.

'Without evidence you just cannot know can you?' I did not say the evidence does not exist.

Not too long ago it became known that an innocent man went to jail for 25 years or so. There existed evidence at the time of his conviction to exonerate him only that they refused to look at it because they were convinced that the man was guilty. When they finally decided to measure the evidence 25 years later, they saw his innocence. -Not to say that the disgraced ones that suppressed the evidence continued to advocate guilt inspite of the facts. The evidence existed had they wanted to look.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Bonsai - who told you that mortality sucks?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Believing in god is one thing, having him relay specific messages to yourself or others is a problem for all concerned.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Nobody. Life is fun. I wanna live forever!

• Alive!
    Alive!

Lol @bonsai.

Nice come back - 'I want to live forever!'

He He. Tres amusing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit