A philosophical question .... what does the word God mean to you personally ?

by Finkelstein 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To myself it means to seek knowledge and understanding of are selves and the world in which we live.

Unfortunately history has shown whenever one tries to connect to god and of his knowledge through men who say they themselves are connected to god through spiritual Wifi ie. GB members of the Jehovah's Witnesses for example, one usually ends up finding a accumulation of only man's acquired knowledge.

Over thousands of years of trying to connect to a god(s) for help and answers, mankind has eventually relinquished himself to seeking answers through scientific investigative acquired knowledge of the world in which we live in.

So far this inherent endeavor has proven better for humanity overall toward improving the existence of living a better life..

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Unfortunately, belief in a god means, to me, ........... continued ignorance.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

God is an excuse to be lazy. Don't understand something? It's god. Someone doesn't have it as good as you? They must've pissed off god. Want to feel superior? Imagine that god approved of you. And on it goes.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I do understand the importance 'god' has for so many people. I know 'god' sustains the faithful and gives them hope. I'm not a complete prick, I get it.

For all that though, I genuinely believe humanity will become more at ease with itself when it grows out of it's dependency on the 'god' comfort blanket.

I'm as anti god as it gets but only because I really do love people. God isn't good for us.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

God isn't good for us.

As ignorance isn't good for us either.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    For me, "god" is nothing but a joke at best and a trigger word at its worst.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    It's something I used to believe before I did any proper reading about evolution and theology. That's what it means to me.
  • gda
    gda

creator/papa/ Dad/ heavenly Father who gave his Son for "the whole world"

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    In a word, 'God' means 'myth' to me.
  • cofty
    cofty

For many it is a placeholder for as yet unanswered questions.

To me the word god is synonymous with superstition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit