A philosophical question .... what does the word God mean to you personally ?

by Finkelstein 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

God is the result of frustration with dying and all other unknowns. Gotta hang it on something. Also it is fueled by crackpots, and grannies from the U.S. south.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

......and isn't it both shocking and unfortunate that people living still today are ready and posed to kill other people over the positioning of whose god is the almighty true god !

Muslim fundamentalists are killing anyone that doesn't worship their god in their own perceived way, as a show of their personal devotion to their god.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    What does the word "god" mean to me at this point in my life? It means "dog" spelled backwards. That's it.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Being angry with God or not wanting him to exist does not change anything. -But if you found evidence of God, would it not put your mind at ease to know? You would never loose your mind if reality failed you, if everything that you trusted in turned out to be a fallacy, even if doom seemed to be the only destiny, you would always have this only reality -that you know- to base your thinking on. You would realize that you are not in control. Not by your efforts, not cause and effect, is the reason things happen. Your mind could just let go. You could have peace of mind free of anxiety and leave things in God's hands -IF you found the evidence. But more than the evidence is needed. After a time one takes the evidence for granted just as a blind man that gains sight takes his vision for granted and focuses then on all of the other heartaches and natural shocks that flesh is heir to and looses sight of the prize.
  • talesin
    talesin
    I like what Lennon said:

"God is a concept, by which we measure our pain."

xx tal
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

when i hear the word god , my anxiety goes haywire. it means stress, anger, fear, confusion and guilt.

in any event, its a negative at this time.

• Grey Goose
    Grey Goose

I think it's just something/someone to hang all are hopes, fears, and desires on.

If we want something, we pray.

If we are frightened by something, we pray.

If we do something "bad" and want forgiveness, we pray.

If we get what we asked for, God is with us. If we don't get what we asked for, God is still with us.

If If we pray that a friend will survive surgery and he survives, God was listening to our prayer. If he dies, then god was still listening, but time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all....

It really don't make sense and is MASSIVELY open to interpretation what this "God" is really like.

If there was 100% evidence to prove he does exist, I would have some very sobering questions for him. And the answer "i'm working to my timetable", just does not cut it.

I'm not too sure what to believe right now. I'm leaning towards there being a higher life form that is bigger than any mind can fathom, who doesn't actually give a shit about what goes on on planet earth. But again, jury's out on the subject for now.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I think it's just something/someone to hang all are hopes, fears, and desires on.

One cannot hang on to an illusion. When uncertainty comes.. one lets go. -But not if it is solid.

• Grey Goose
    Grey Goose
    I think you'll find billions of people are hanging onto an illusion....
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I think you'll find billions of people are hanging onto an illusion....

Without evidence you just cannot know can you? And believing that reality is an an ilusiion does not make it so because you have not measured the evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit