For Christians: What do you think about an Armagedon and the Afterlife

by John Davis 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    MoreConfuzed ยป Since no one can prove beyond a doubt that what they believe is true, I have decided to take a "what will be, will be" view.

Well, one can do that. When I asked JWs to show me one prophecy in the scriptures that came to pass and didn't mean what it said on its face, they've not been able to produce even one.

There are prophecies embedded in apicalyptic writings like Revelation and Daniel, where there are beasts, heads, horns and crowns and such, but there are prophecies from Ezekiel, Zechariah, Isaiah and others that aren't apocalyptic and they're literal. Even in Revelation, when John writes of a wicked city, then adds the literal reference, we know the first is spiritual ("spiritually called Sodom and Egypt") and the second literal ("where our Lord was crucified").

The literal prophecies also are coming to pass whereas the symbolic ones aren't. The reason is that when the literal prophecies began to be fulfilled, the WTS had already formed. It tended to find fulfillment in the things that it had already thought had come to pass.

True, it was disingenuous, but what else is new?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

For those who think they have to hang on to Christianity for the hope of 'heaven', you might like to know there are atheists who believe in the possibility of an afterlife from anecdotal evidence of those who have 'come back to tell us', without any necessity to appease a god.

• deegee
    deegee
    there are atheists who believe in the possibility of an afterlife from anecdotal evidence of those who have 'come back to tell us'----------Xanthippe

What is this anecdotal evidence?

Who are the those who have 'come back to tell us'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit