Types Of Witnesses

by garybuss 49 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Types of Witnesses. There is the:

1. Religious Witness.

These are usually converts and seldom stay. They believe The Bible over the Society. They do not belong to the hate club mentality. They do not focus on the date setting nor do they believe only the Witness group members will survive the apocalypse. They seldom practice shunning and they do not see themselves accountable to the elders. They understand honesty and justice and they do not accept the mistreatment of other members or family very well.

2. Religious Addict Witness.

They are running from something, fear of death, mourning a loss, something that needs medicating. They usually switch addictions and many get disfellowshipped. They look like a Real Witness when they are on top of a cycle. More than a few advance in the ranks since they appear so zealous.

3. Social Witness.

They are usually second generation and most do not understand doctrine and changes do not affect them. They are sensitive to social treatment and if they are mistreated, they usually eventually leave after an internal struggle. Most go to this step as a resting place and many end up here after a disconfirmation or a setback inside the group hierarchy. This is not a place the Society will normally let a person stay, once noticed, without challenge. This is usually the last step for a person making an unconscious exit. It is also a place where conscientious objectors hide from the elders. The Society knows this.

4. Hostage Witness.

They are trapped by circumstance, financial, marital, or commitment to a real Witness. They are not believers and would exit if not for the shunning doctrine. They are first cousins to the Social Witness but they are consciously aware of their situation and are here by design. They are clever and very hard for the elders to spot. More than a few live their whole lives here.

5. Reformer Witness.

They see the error and the abuses and stay and work for reform from within, seeing some value in the group. Some have some success but most give up and slip into the Hostage or Social type. More than a few are discovered, tried and shunned.

6. Power Witness.

They have recognition, position, power and prestige. All their personal ego needs are met by the group. They work for the corporation in a position, as a worker or as an elder or pioneer. They work to keep the status quo because that is where their security is. Many of this class are not religious or very honest and their business dealings are not ethical. They belong to the insider club and relish the prestige and attention. They know the system, they have no qualms about following directions from the Society. This is the only class able to advance in the hierarchy of the group.

7. Reinstated Witness.

These are in a class by themselves. They have burn scars and they usually stay on the fringe. Few seek positions of responsibility. They are found with the Hostage or Social types but they really do not fit in there either. They are wary and restless.

8. New Witnesses.

This is the most interesting class of all. They almost all come in as Social Witnesses and settle on some groove between Social and Real. They have ideals and expectations and they often know history and doctrine the best of all. Most were courted and won and then honeymooned. Often a year after they are baptized they begin to notice the complacent attitude towards them and they begin to feel neglected.

9. Children of Witnesses.

They are counted by the corporation as full members but they are treated as property and often they are abused and their wants and needs are neglected. They secretly plan their next life. Some move into the Social type or the Power class. The majority eventually leave.

10. Witness Women.

Some are in the Power class. They marry elders and Bethel workers and some Pioneer and become gurus, with their own followings. Others accept their inferior status and stay in their profiles without complaint. Others resist and leave the group, demonstrating their intelligence and competency in business and as vocal former members.

11. Old Witnesses.

They have been faithful through it all. Many see they will not be immortal after all and they mourn in silence, often ignored and usually forgotten. This group must put up a defense against their own experiences and against their adult children who do not appreciate their course. They have little to stay in the group for and nothing to leave for. Seldom will they leave the group.

12. Real Witness.

They believe the Society is writing for God. They believe everything always, and gladly sacrifice security and comfort for the group. They shun their parents and their children without even thinking. Change in doctrine or failed predictions will have absolutely no effect on this class. Few of this class ever leave the group.

Additions? Comments?

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks
    Additions?

Yes,

13. Emotional Blackmail Witnesses.

Your mother died as a Witness and the only way you are going

to see her again is if you remain active, and conform to all

of the edicts of the Watchtower Society.

• minimus
    minimus

Gary, this is a keeper!!!! You are so right.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Is this the wannabes and the hasbeens class? for me to get a !

Guest 77

• wednesday
    wednesday

Gary, what about the "misfit witness" or does reinstatement cover that? This is the jw who just can't get it right, commits sins and self confeses and is shunned but just won't leave. Or should that be "psycho witness" which btw should be a class, b/c there is a group of jws that are so superstious about everthing/or have multiple personalites.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Spanner, I have been thinking and researching and I am sure I moved among the types when I was a Witness. I was a third generation Witness, so my opinions on some types are the product of research and observation. So many of us charged in to meet Witness people head on without knowing what type we were dealing with. Many of us met with two at once, both different types. It's no wonder we have had so poor success.

And I had forgotten that even if I did move a Witness from a Real type with information like the blood medical treatment allowances or the UN association documentation, they would just move into the Social Witness group for a time and eventually forget their conflicts while they eliminated the source of the information, me. In time they would seem to move back into the Real type by degrees.

They have to work hard to exit. There are tremendous resources available to re-set the reality shocked Witness. There are the meetings, day text meditation, service, literature reading, more meetings, and personal contacts. To really exit, a Witness needs to put effort into finding and evaluating objective information. It's often hard because they are trained that it is wrong to look at insider information like the Pay Attention book, or the Board Of Elder's letters. Many of us were afraid the first time we looked at a book like Crisis Of Conscience.

Many here are trapped in the hostage stage. No doubt it's their last stage, but it's still a type.

I read about a woman who had spend much of her life as an opposer to abortions, picketing clinics, and lobbying for changed laws, but the real successes she had came after she started a home for unwed mothers and options to care for the babies. This approach helped untold people by the hundreds and her job satisfaction went through the roof. I am looking for such an opportunity with the victims of the high control groups. I am sure the venue is not in the apologetics and counter cult groups. It's not in the courts or on the picket line at the district assembly. Maybe it's a free coffee and Coke cart in front of the assemblies without any signs or flags flying.

In my opinion, many, if not most, Witnesses are not victims, they are where they want to be by their own free will informed choice. Nothing can be done to help them because they don't need any help and they won't tolerate intervention attempts. The abused children, the rejected adults, the parents being shunned by children, the lonely grandparents, and the Hostage Witnesses are the victims. Feedback? GaryB

• wednesday
    wednesday

Being of the rejected adult and abused child group at various times, i can say for sure, i would have never took a leaflet from a person on a picket line. No matter how bad they beat me up, i was loyal to them. I finally saw that even if jehovah did want me at the KH, they did not. That is when i left and began looking at other points of view. I still have a hard time reading doctrinal literature, except the ones that relate to failed prophercy.

And u are right, it is the Power JWs who move up in ranks. the same type of people who do well in pyrmid schemes.

weds

• garybuss
    garybuss

Wednesday, Very good post. Many of us were neurotic as Witnesses. The culture produces that. I was certainly cycling into anxiety, depression, self righteousness, complacency, guilt, fear, anger, and at last denial. I was systematically bumped from types by the Witnesses themselves. By the time they reduced me to a Social Witness, they had very little working room left. I was sure their doctrine sucked, I had more than a little contempt for a few members. They took two shots at me in rapid fire and they made me walk.

Misfits might be a real class by itself. I hope you write more of your thoughts. I have been dealing with mental illness with Witness relatives for a while now and they may be in a class by themselves too. I hope more post on this. Maybe more profiles will emerge over time. Thanks for your comments. I always enjoy reading your posts. GaryB

• garybuss
    garybuss

Wednesday, I was loyal to them too. It was them who treated me and my son bad and they broke my heart not long after they broke my mind. Then when I couldn't stand to go any more they shunned me. I was still loyal to them and I let them into my home to study with my sons and they taught my sons I was bad association and they taught my sons to shun me. That crossed the line and I quit being loyal to them. Quite the opposite, they angered me and they turned me into their enemy.

I would not have accepted a tract from a picketer either. I have known some of the picketer types and I have confronted them with information about their religions similar in nature to that which they try to get the Witness convention goers to take and they get more defensive than the Witnesses. My favorite types are the historians and the people working to get CD's made and BOE letters exposed. They are having an impact. GaryB

• wednesday
    wednesday

Come to America, give me your poor, tired, and hungry... so it goes.

The jws are similar, they seem to welcome those with problems. But as soon as u are "in" u are supposed to have "joy" , a fruit a God's spirit, and if u do not display it, u are not a spiritual person. Eventually u are rejected and shunned. jws will only put up with your problems for so long, after that, they expect a "faith " healing.

Misfits are anyone that does not fit into their joyful scheme of things. Weak people, sick people, addicted people(possibly could fit into your religiously addicted class) abused people, mentally ill people, poor people, uneducated people, social inept people, neurotic people obsessed with demons, and on and on. I'm sure we could add on more. I know about these people. I came from a dysfunctional family( new named for screwed up) reeking with alcoholism and emotional problems, abuse in all forms and to top it off, we were poor. Not dirt poor, but in the area i live in, a very middle to upper class area, we were poor. We were the spiritually weak, the never do well, the person with chronic problems, but we believed it was the truth. And it helped us belong somewhere. And in the 50-70 we were still a somewhat accepted class. But things changed in the org, and they wanted to present a classer image, and suddenly all of us misfits were "out". But still we hung on. But everyone knew we were misfits. We were now too poor to be jws, we too ignorant, we were too sick. But we were honest so we always went to the elders with our problems. It is easy to get rid of a misfit. They will give u the gun to shoot them with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit