The 'IN' families

by punkofnice 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist
    punkofnice - They all seem so obsessed to a morbid degree with sex.

This reminded me of Stephen Fry's speech in a debate against the Catholic Church where he says (timeIndex 16:21):
    " It's a strange thing about this church. It is obsessed with sex, absolutely obsessed. Now, they will say, we with our permissive society and our rude jokes are obsessed; No, we have a healthy attitude, we like it, it's fun, it's jolly, because it's a primary impulse; it can be dangerous and dark and difficult – it's a bit like food in that respect, only even more exciting. The only people, who are obsessed with food, are anorexics and the morbidly obese. And that, in erotic terms, is the Catholic Church in a nutshell."

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Wild_ThingThere were so many big dynasty JW families related to each other, I am convinced there had to be inbreeding in the congregation I grew up in.

I've seen it myself in the few congregations I've been in north of Montreal. Young born in's marrying within same or close by congs. and breeding like rabbits to the extent that everyone is somehow related. It's weird and stomach churning but to them seems quite normal and happyfing.. and I'm sure the Borg is quite pleased ! Then to add insult to injury I'd get to hear the elders gush about so and so being an item and how such a wonderful young attractive couple willadorn Jehovah ! ( remember it's all about appearances and social climbers )

• Londo111
    Londo111

My father, an elder and sometimes PO, was so strongly against nepotism. To the point where he took extra strides to prove he wasn't. Perhaps the reason he was against it is because he saw it happen on the elder body.

But when I was growing up, I just wanted him to be more a father first, an elder last, rather than the other way around. Give me some favor of some sort!

Maybe I'm going out on a limb, but I think some of this nepotism may stem from "natural affection" and wanting to protect ones children from harm. An elder who is willing to see their child disfelowshipped and shunned is just not that good of a human being.

• LV101
    LV101

Londo -- I understand your point re "natural affection" and when it comes to our children who wouldn't do everything possible to protect them and give them a break.

It proves there's no such thing as fairness which is an abstract illusion or Christian love or love for others but only 'conditional' love. I'd hope (in a la la world) more elders had "unconditional' love for their children than 'conditional' love but that's not the reality in life. I get your point and would be guilty of same. If one wants 'unconditional' love, get a dog.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Yep...I believe my dog has more love and insight than the Governing Body.

• sir82
    sir82

I believe my dog has more love and insight than the Governing Body.

And I'll bet his expression is less goofy than ol' rubber-face Lett.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Amiable - Both Fry and Hitchens make very good points about Catholicism. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Introvert - Noooooooo, not Canada? I thought the Canadians were all nice and polite.I'll have to be on my guard when I visit Canada in September. Rush could write a good song about it.

Londo111 - My father, an elder and sometimes PO, was so strongly against nepotism.

Yes. Mine too. That's why I wasn't appointed to min serv in the congregation we were in.

I believe my dog has more love and insight than the Governing Body.

It's not a point of belief....you dog HAS more love an insight than those vile paedophile protectors in Warwick. (Which they can't even pronounce correctly).

LV - I think if I'm thinking of my Dad (RIP), he had a bit of a dilemma with being a Dad and upholding cult law,

Sir82 - You have it in one. A poster here called that mental case Lett 'Rubber mug'. What a brilliant name for that fool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit