Things JW's and Atheists have in common

by juandefiero 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clambake
    Clambake

It's funny how when a jehovah witness talks about dying for god over a blood transfusion, it's quite sad how the whole belief could change in a heart beat over seven magical men having a vision or some shit like that.

I think when you have a faith that values obedience to human leadership over everything and salvation though works , you are not really dealing with the supernatural diests you think.

Thus the reason there are so many athiest in wts.

• prologos
    prologos

Cofty:Really? Have you not kept up with recent progress in physics and chemistry regarding abiogenesis?

No, sorry, but I have not, but I realize, every step in bio-research that I read about brings us closer to understanding the life process of using energy and the functioning of the beginning of the memory/ modification aspect of life. I am hoping like you to see the big breakthrough. It will be interesting how Atheists and believers will react when it happens.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    @prologos - I'm agnostic on such things (as in I know I don't know), but if you're positing a God existing outside of spacetime, then that God is also unable to influence spacetime. To intervene in this universe requires a process and a duration (time). So a God therefore exists outside of his creation. The absent parent of all eternity. But I'd certainly agree such a God could exist.
  • David_Jay
    David_Jay

Prologos,

Since I am not the author of the theological definition of "temporal" vs. "eternal" in religious terms, I cannot say more than the religious persons who developed these terms in the first place. My mention of these definitions is not to imply that I have anything invested in these religious definitions either. I am just repeating them.

I do know, however, that according to Roman Catholicism, there was no time until the universe came into existence. God existed since according to them God is eternal, but the universe and the space-time continuum did not. Eternity as they and Jews define it is not a form of time. To them eternity is far different from living forever. They are not the same, according to them.

Speaking in your terms I am sure you might find a way to bring things together according to your worldview (which seems a very healthy approach in MHO), but this will not change the doctrinal and dogmatic definitions in religions. While theology can change, dogmas cannot, and I cannot say what this falls under for them. But I am sure, knowing Jews and Catholics, there is room for personal interpretation as well in this.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@DJ, Thanks for the explanation.

I already assumed my views are quite limited by my JW upbringing and the information 'management' that comes with it. Unfortunately the J-C God seems harder to argue against than the JW God.

@Cofty, don't worry, I'm still a materialistic atheist ;-)

Like you I am convinced they process of how chemicals reacted and combined into something that we now classify as 'life' will be discovered someday.

@prologos, I was planning on starting a thread about JW God in/out of time and universe anyway. Maybe we should continue there when I do (but I am fine here too :-) )

And it's my understanding as well that the emptyness of the big nothing is likely to be oozing with energy fluctuations, and that the universe possibly sprang from those fluctuations. Apparently net energy in/of our universe = 0.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit