Things JW's and Atheists have in common

by juandefiero 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clambake
    Clambake

JW

-Puts faith in complex bamboozles that they don’t really understand.

-Idol worships men

-Mocks anyone who doesn’t believe in exactly what they believe

-Never misses an opportunity to tell someone how they feel about religion.

-Both make mockery of god and bible.

-Both for long of day when everyone is exactly the same( paradise earth). There will be peace

Militant Atheist

- Puts faith in complex bamboozles that they don’t really understand.

-Idol worships men

-Both for long of day when everyone is exactly the same( no one believes in the bible). There will be peace.

• cofty
    cofty
    Puts faith in complex bamboozles that they don’t really understand. - Clambake

I have no idea what you mean by "complex bamboozles". I think you are just easily confused. Personally I don't have faith in anything. My confidence is commensurate with the evidence.

-Idol worships men

I idolise nobody

I have profound respect for a lot of people who think differently from me about a lot of things. I have no respect for people who take pride in wilful ignorance.

Outside this religious discussion forum I never talk about religion.

JWs do not mock god or the bible. I criticise both with compelling evidence.

-Both for long of day when everyone is exactly the same( no one believes in the bible). There will be peace.

Faith has no place in public life but apart from that I don't care if people believe in god and the bible. Provide some evidence for your beliefs and I will enjoy discussing it with you.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Clambake:
    Militant Atheist
    - Puts faith in complex bamboozles that they don’t really understand.

Atheists don't have faith. And just because YOU don't understand something doesn't mean others don't understand it.

-Idol worships men

You don't know what Atheism is, do you? It's a lack of belief. By definition they don't worship anyone.

Atheists by definition lack belief, so this is a flawed statement.

Overgeneralization. No one in my real life but a few close friends know about my atheism. I suspect that most atheists are like this. Now, if an atheist participates in an online discussion forum that frequently discusses the subject of religion, why would it surprise you if they expressed their opinion during the discussion? That's the purpose of discussion boards....to discuss things.

Theists, God and the Bible do a good enough job of that themselves...they don't need atheists to make them a mockery.

This may surprise you, but most atheists don't give two-shits about what you believe. All they want is for you to keep it to yourself.

• Clambake
    Clambake

"This may surprise you, but most atheists don't give two-shits about what you believe. All they want is for you to keep it to yourself."

Yet you are here making threads. Do you see the irony ?

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Yet you are here making threads. Do you see the irony ?

You don't seem to understand what this thread is about. The OP (original post) is about some commonly held ideas between atheists and JW's. It wasn't espousing my beliefs at all.

Then, you went off and made a bunch of statements about atheists that were full of fallacies.

All I did was respond to your faulty statements to correct the record.

The fact that I have to explain this to you could indicate a lack of reading comprehension on your part, which could also explain why you refuse to answer Cofty every time he asks you what books you have read in support of the theory of evolution.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Cofty I stated what I think in a straightforward way. Why do you call this "trolling"? "Trolling" doesn't simply mean: "somebody said something I don't agree with", you know.
  • cofty
    cofty

I don't believe that you actually believe some of the risible assertions you make.

You do it to start an argument - or am I being too generous?

• cofty
    cofty
    JWs are materialists

This is beyond ridiculous!

JWs are obsessed with all things supernatural. They see invisible spirits everywhere. Every event is either the work of the "holy spirit" or of the "demons".

They are some of the most superstitious people on the planet. Are you sure you were ever a JW?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

JWs and atheists share a profoundly common materialistic view of reality and rationalistic approach to knowledge. They both basically view the truth as a detective story that any rational person should be able to get to the bottom of.

Any big question you care to ask: is there a God? How did we get here? Is the Bible from God? What happens when you die? JWs believe that what you need to do in relation to these issues is gather all the relevant evidence, sit down and consider it, and come to the rational conclusion. That's basically the method that all their books promote from the Creation book, to the Bible God's Word or Man's book, to the Knowledge book. Atheists completely agree with that method, they just think that JWs have gathered the wrong evidence and drawn the wrong conclusions. That's why the new atheists confront fundamentalist believers with such alacrity, because they both speak the same intellectual language, and on a deep level they understand and agree with one another.

So what's missing here? Neither system allows for any other source of knowledge outside narrow empiricism within a materialistic framework. It's an impoverished view of reality. It doesn't allow that tradition can teach us anything. It doesn't allow for the possibility that emotion and intuition might offer insights over rational reflection. It doesn't allow for divine revelation. It doesn't allow for the possibility that reality admits different justified interpretations. The world is singular, it has no ghost, and the mystery has been solved.

• cofty
    cofty

So JWs pretend that their superstitions can be supported with evidence, even though they actually depend on appeals false authority - precisely the same as christians and exactly opposite to rational people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit