Unpopular Opinion on Convention Protests

by Jehalapeno 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

can anyone remember the thread on here about someone--in an assembly--using his phone to "set up" an apostate type hot spot ? it was all too technical for me--but it seemed like a workable idea.

• JeffT
    JeffT

For years, at the conventions in the Seattle area, there was a guy with a large banner that said "call 244-FREE" for information about the watchtower. He was never mean, he just there with his banner. At the last convention we went to, my wife jotted down the number, but later forgot about it. A few months passed and one night, as were discussing our situation, she remembered it.

We called and I found myself talking to a minister who ran a support group for ejw's. This was in 1988, long before the internet. That man (Ralph Parsons) and his group were instrumental in our exit. Make of that what you will. I was part of the group of protestors for a few years, then moved on to other things.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    can anyone remember the thread on here about someone--in an assembly--using his phone to "set up" an apostate type hot spot ? it was all too technical for me--but it seemed like a workable idea.

I remember, it could be done with an Android phone. The idea is great in principle, but i'm not sure if it's workable with potentially have several dozen people connecting to the hotspot at the same time, it might drag the connection down to a halt.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The big advantage of these protests is not to convert the convention goers ,we all know that`s not going to happen but what it does do is create a media coverage that newspapers and TV Stations can hone in on as newsworthy story that shows a different side of the story given out by the official JW propaganda given to the press.

Then the public seeing this in news broadcasts can see the cult tactics for themselves either in the newspapers or on TV.

And I believe this was a well conducted protest that would have positive results in the long run.

It raises the benchmark for all future protests that are surely to come .

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

I believe this type of information can be cathartic to those holding the signs, they feel they are doing something to reach the attendees- and all the best to them. Many have suffered at the hands of elders, ms, co's Terrible things have been hidden for years and many have been affected by this so, for them, it is important they voice their feelings.

We cannot walk in their shoes, but empathy for what some if not most, have experienced, even if we have not.

Somehow life does go on.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

If you were given the knowledge that lead to happiness and joy would you keep it to yourself or share it with others?

Like many religions, Jehovah's Witnesses claim that ultimate happiness is some future event to work towards. Unlike many of those religions, Jehovah's Witnesses teach that nothing in this world brings any happiness. As we have all learned, this is not true.

Happiness is not in the past of the future. Happiness is being in the now. Why not share that with them so they can experience happiness, too?

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

I think it can be productive if its done the way they do it in Poland . There needs to be a plan a simple message and a way for people to get more info like a web site .

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I watched a couple of the videos about the protest at the Melbourne Convention and thought the reaction of the JW`s attendants was ...overkill ? A whole line of attendants doing what ? nothing ! There were protesters in front of them and behind them walking about freely displaying their signs.What did the attendants achieve ? What were they supposed to have achieved ?

It just seemed so pointless and stupid ,am I the only one who thought that ?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@smiddy Yeah I saw that too. I think it was supposed to intimidate the protesters, a show of force. All it did was make them look more culty. People noticed, and not in a good way for them. They are over the top ridiculous. And that's how a protest should be done. Peacefully, let them show how crazy they are.

• Simon
    Simon

The attendants were to stop JWs going to the protesters, not the other way round.

Heaven forbid a JW may have a conversation with an ex-member.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit