Unpopular Opinion on Convention Protests

by Jehalapeno 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

I think it's really sad that people that wasted countless hours preaching for a cult are deciding to waste more hours on that same cult after leaving it.

Get a hobby. Enjoy life.

"The best revenge is a life well-lived." - Some person said this.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

From personal experience I can say that back when I was in, the few times I ran into apostates protesting at conventions only reinforced my indoctrinated belief that they were insane, full of hate, miserable, and lost.

Having said that, I've heard that there are indeed some out there that have reached wokeness thanks to the shenanigans of the disruptive/activists.

So, to each their own.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's the thing: JW conventions will go ahead whether ex-JWs protest outside or not.

Obviously, they're not protesting against the actual conventions, they're protesting against the organisation.

If people want to protest outside the conventions, then fine, but I think it's better to criticise the org at other times ... e.g. during street witnessing or cart witnessing, during work when JW employee tries to witness to you, etc.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

All they ever did for me was cause extra traffic as they closed gates to keep us from driving by

• Simon
    Simon

I watched "Unplanned" movie the other day, and I've no doubt it was dramatized somewhat, but one thing that stood out was that the protestors at the abortion clinic were non-confrontational with both the clients visiting and the staff who worked there and tried to strike up a relationship with them. The director of the clinic eventually left and joined them, they supporting her, helping her find work and battle Planned Parenthood's then legal action against her.

The point is, does the activism "we" do mean people could leave the other side and feel like they could join "ours"? Or are they "the enemy" and treated as such? If you see JWs as any form of enemy and think shouting at them will help, then you are most decidedly part of the problem - you may as well be paid by the WTS, cause it's really helping them.

You see the same things with political protests, where people are threatening or actually violent. Do they imagine they are going to change anyone's minds or is it just an excuse to be unpleasant and a thug to others for not believing what they do?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

In honesty, I don't think that 'one size fits all'.

I'm not into protesting. I will however, protect people from entering the cult.

As Sanchy says - So, to each their own.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Whilst I doubt the effectiveness of Convention protests, and I do not endorse disruptive behaviour, one could ask “ Why does anybody protest about anything?

They don’t only do It for publicity and , at least in the short term, it does not bring changes. People protest because they have a grievance ,they want others to know what they do . It makes a statement. It is cathartic.

There are those who ask, why keep posting on line? Get a life!

We post here for the same reasons. It gets things off our chest, we enjoy the online association with others who have similar experiences, we know then that we are not alone. Also, others do read our written exposure of the WTS , many have learned and benefitted.

So re. The Convention protestors, I won’t be joining you but if you are so moved, go right ahead.

• waton
    waton

one of the things about the house to house work is, that it deterred people from becoming witnesses, because they thought "they want me to also do that --- never" .

So with these protests, it is a deterrent to become a researcher, join our dissenter ranks. but once the doubts start, it could help some to at least drop out, not become a protester.

If you crave attention, let off steam, by all means protest, it is a world wide trend.

• just fine
    just fine

I think all of us had different experiences and are at different points in our recovery. I am all for anyone finding their way to healing and peace.

For some protesting might be that path. It wasn’t for me, but if it helps those doing the protesting, then they should do it.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

a waste of time is in the mind of the one giving the time. This could be very cathartic to some. Its like someone yelling at a murderer when sentencing of the killer. To me yelling at some scum bag who killed a family member is useless. They are only sorry they were caught not that they did the crime. But to some it is a way to get some closure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit