Unpopular Opinion on Convention Protests

by Jehalapeno 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

I think your right except if your going to protest over the child abuse coverups.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I personally would not do it, but it's silly to say it's ridiculous or a waste of time. It's not. Especially in the digital age.

Back in the day, when we were leaving conventions, apostates had to resort to yelling or trying to approach you, and those things really don't work. However, if at that time, there had been an apostate peacefully standing with a sign for JWFacts let's say, I could well be curious about taking a look on my own time.

There isn't one size fits all like someone already said, some apostates are idiots and use stupid tactics, but there are some who can have an impact. Conventions are a great way to get something in front of many JW eyes.

• Simon
    Simon
    Its like someone yelling at a murderer when sentencing of the killer.

It isn't really though is it - the JWs at an assembly are not the WTS. It's more like shouting at other victims and witnesses in the same court building.

There is a lot of misplaced anger. People see JWs stood next to a cart of literature and get all in a rage or go storm a KH.

Unless they are specific people who have done you direct harm, then it's misplaced and unwarranted and any attempts to dress it up by proclaiming yourself an "activist" is simply a get-out because it's a better label than "bitter and obsessed".

If there is a specific person and a genuine complaint, the correct cours of action is either a legal case against them or some good old fisticuffs.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    a waste of time is in the mind of the one giving the time. This could be very cathartic to some.

Agreed, but again, there could be benefits to those observing. If someone is standing in view of everybody at the exit with a sign for a website, out of the thousands passing by, a few -- perhaps more than what we think -- we'll be curious to take a look, especially the younger crowd.

• LV101
    LV101
    The signs were quite informative and intriguing especially when you 'think' you're the only one in the world that's miserably plodding along for a god that loves you.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

The protest, as far as I know, isn't some aggressive screaming match. It's a peaceful protest as far as I know. I know that it helps PIMOs that have to go as they secretly are excited to see others that are out around them. I know that it helps those that are protesting to feel seen, to get some camaraderie around a shared trauma, and it helps give some media attention at times to the voices of those wanting to be heard. Done right it does create questions in the minds and hearts of people that see the protest that are open to it. Advertising of sites that can be accessed from private devices could lead some that are questioning to finally look up "mentally diseased" sites like JW Facts. You never know who might be impacted to leave, to know that there are others like them out there, etc.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JEHALAPENO:

I understand your point that people who leave the Witness religion should get on with their lives.

The problem IS - if every ex-JW was silent about the JW religion and what they experienced there..nobody in the world would have any idea!..There would be yet MORE unsuspecting people falling for the BS, more ruined lives, more wasted years, etc.

I don’t believe in disrupting anybody’s meetings..I am in agreement with peaceful protests by ex-JWs who act and look dignified. (I know that many ex-JW males hate dressing up and looking decent.) The problem is if they go to a protest looking like sh#t..they will only scare some JWs there who believe that anybody who leaves the religion ends up in the gutter 🙄. Nobody’s asking them to wear a three piece suit but at least look decent and not look like the cliche of what JWs expect ‘worldly’ people to look like.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I support the peaceful, respectful protesting. I suspect it is a way of "healing" for some people. I'm doubtful if it has any significant influence on active JW's unless some little "blurb" catches their eye and leads them to Google. Thus, I think a little blurb such as:

Why do they call them the LAST DAYS?

Because they last.....and they last..... and they last.......

Go to JWFACTS.org

Causing a commotion just supports the "mentally diseased" stereotype.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I think it's really sad that people that wasted countless hours preaching for a cult are deciding to waste more hours on that same cult after leaving it.

I get what you’re saying but remember, some might say the same of you regarding the time spent here,

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I remember when I was a Jobo, there were the 'evil slave class(tm)' that would protest at Nottingham Forest Ground, waving banners and leaflets.

It only made me feel that because they were there, we were being persecuted and I was in the right religion.

For me, protesting might have an opposite effect than desired.

Just saying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit