CRA screwup for WT Canada?

by berrygerry 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Cannot check links yet as Canadian Govt website closed for maintenance

If last year showed large funds surely this years has to explain expenditure , or donations to crooklyn ,showing these in the a/c?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I couldn't handle the confusion anymore so I phoned Revenue Canada this morning and asked them about the Canadian WTS' return and why they no longer show assets and very little donations.

The person I talked to was very surprised that the return showed what it did and she was almost positive that the 2015 return that is displayed on the website is in error. She does not think that the return posted is actually the correct one for the WTS in Canada.

She is contacting her supervisor and will be looking into why the return seems to be inaccurate. "Look back in about two weeks and if the return hasn't changed by then, contact us again". And "thanks for getting a hold of us as this charity is a very large and active one and I cannot see them making major changes without us knowing about it."

So...patience, Grasshopper...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If I had to guess, I'd say that the US HQ had the bulk of the Canadian funds transferred to them (like they did with Australia last year), and funnelled them into their Cayman Island accounts.

They're amputating the extremities that they think may be become a liability, 'cause they suspect more countries are gonna have their equivalent of the Aussie RCC or the UK charities commissions (Canada certainly could).

x

IMO, you only pull shit like that if a) you're crooked and b) you know the jig's almost up.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

I heard from a source that they were actively looking to move bulk funds to territories that are secure and out of reach of western authorities, even as far as Asia.

Dayto day operations now not as cash required as massive bethel cutbacks taken millions out of cost base.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    This bears watching...
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    LostandFound: I heard from a source that they were actively looking to move bulk funds to territories that are secure and out of reach of western authorities, even as far as Asia.

That makes sense.

Wouldn't you do the same thing if you thought that your 'nest egg' was at risk of being seized? I don't believe for a minute that the WTS is just going on with "business as usual" when they know damn well that Australia will be coming up with a redress scheme that will put the WTS on the hook for millions, if not billions.

The WTS can hear the footsteps - the UK is next. And, in the UK, if you owe money, your assets in other countries can be seized. Not sure about Australia and Canada. But it wouldn't surprise me if it is similar for those countries - the ties and similarities in legal structure are close between them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

1. Maybe it is simply an error.

2. Maybe they've set up a new charity and transferred assets to that.

3. Maybe they've sent the money to the US for some reason.

Whatever the explanation, it would appear to be further evidence that they are experiencing some sort of difficulty. The drop in assets the previous year was huge already, now this.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It looks like they may be shutting down the TO Bethel?

I don't know about this. They still have 350 members. But then again, with this organization, anything is possible.

• Clearview
    Clearview
    Marking this thread, can't wait to see if the info is accurate or an error on the gov. website.
  • Skedaddle
    Skedaddle
    Hey, how do you mark a thread?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit