Anyone read the latest Awake (on the supernatural)?

by LoveUniHateExams 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just like to return to this thread and say that there's one horror film I haven't seen but want to - John Carpenter's Halloween (1978).

I've read and seen excellent reviews on it. Plus, the film was a commercial success: it made c. $70 million on a $325,000 budget!

I'll have to buy it on DVD.

Has anybody here seen this film? Would you recommend it?

• sir82
    sir82

LOL at that Chick tract.

"Satanic human sacrifices are a slap in God's face."

Divine human sacrifice (i.e., Jesus), however, is perfectly hunky-dory, and in fact is the most important thing that ever occurred.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"When the elder talked to me he told me "Do you realize that live people played their (zombies) part"?"

Aw, you just ruined it for me.

"Divine human sacrifice (i.e., Jesus), however, is perfectly hunky-dory, and in fact is the most important thing that ever occurred."

Exactly, God hates the competition. If anyone is going to do human sacrifice up in here, it's going to be El Shaddai, the Lord of Hosts, Yahweh.

• hybridous
    hybridous
    Has anybody here seen this film? Would you recommend it?

Halloween (1978), IMO, really set the bar for much of what followed...

By all means, if you enjoy the genre, be sure to watch this one!

• undercover
    undercover
    "Satanic human sacrifices are a slap in God's face."
    Divine human sacrifice (i.e., Jesus), however, is perfectly hunky-dory, and in fact is the most important thing that ever occurred.

And blood transfusion denying child sacrifices is most pleasing to the Most High God that abhors child sacrifices to false gods.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Never been much of a one for either science fiction or horror movies myself .

I will say, though, that I was 11 years old when the WTS ran an article about "demonism" (can't remember whether it as in the Awake or Watchtower). However, reading it certainly did have a disturbing effect on me. I have long since come to understand why a significant part of my life was so screwed up - i.e. from reading nonsense like that while still in my formative years.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Someone on the GB is clearly not a fan of the Winchester brothers...:smirk:
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Hybridous

I finally managed to buy Halloween today - yay!

I was in Manchester last week, going for a job interview. So afterwards I went to the HMV store in Arndale.

No Halloween - WTF?! I bought some other films instead (inc. Halloween 2 - a very mixed bag of a movie).

Then today I was looking around Bolton market and the second-hand dvd shop had Halloween for £2 - can't be bad!

Gotta say, it was a very good film - I love the way Carpenter built up the tension throughout. There were some key moments that stood out for me ...

1. the opening sequence, where you see someone's pov. You see hands reaching for a knife in the kitchen, then you walk upstairs and a mask is put on. Then into a teenager's bedroom, the knife being used to stab her repeatedly. Then the person walks out the house, still in his pov. It's revealed to be 6 year old Michael Myers - pretty chilling!

2. Bobby's downstairs getting Lynda a beer. He thinks he hears something in the dark. Myers bursts out the closet and kills him by pinning him to the wall with his knife. And then he tilts his head, first one way then the other. Almost as if he's admiring his work. It's totally creepy, other-worldly. It kinda reminded me of the way a dog or cat tilts their head to listen.

3. Laurie is alone in the dark house, freaked out by seeing the three dead bodies of those already killed. Crying, she backs up against a wall, next to an open doorway that leads into a pitch black room. And then the distinctive white mask appears in the black doorway!

4. the music! John Carpenter's music was simple but very effective.

Also, there was hardly any blood and gore - remarkable for a slasher film. This is probably due to the tiny budget. I assume the lack of extras - there were lots of shots of empty streets - was due to the tiny budget, too. The lack of extras doesn't really interfere with the film - just the opposite, I think, making sure the focus is on Jaime Lee Curtis, or whoever else is in the shot.

I'm glad there was next to no blood and gore. Instead, Halloween gets the audience scared by building up the tension, plus a few jump scares, all mixed in with the sheer otherworldliness of Michael Myers and the imagination of the audience. In other words, the audience is scared or creeped out by what it thought it saw, not necessarily what it actually saw.

All in all, it's a very good film.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Damn it uni! Spoiler alert!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Aw crap, yeah.

I should've put a warning before writing all that.

I thought it was strange that I hadn't seen the film until today - it didn't occur to me that there was anyone else that hadn't seen it but wants to!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit