Anyone read the latest Awake (on the supernatural)?

by LoveUniHateExams 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just read some of this latest Awake on the org's webshite.

It begins by talking about the 'supernatural' - wizards, witches, vampires, etc. - their popularity and why they might appeal to people. Then it goes on to state the WT belief that someone is 'behind it'.

Now, I like a few horror/scary films - when I was a kid, I always actually liked being a bit scared by them, TBH.

The Silence of the Lambs, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), The Ring, The Witch, The Thing (1982) and a few others are all great, IMO.

They are just genres and subgenres of film, that's all. I'm obviously not gonna re-enact some of the scenes I've seen, as if I were some mindless f**kwit.

Obviously the WT skips over the fact that horror films, witches, and vampires aren't real and pumps out their own belief (completely unsupported by reality or evidence) that Satan is behind these things.

I guess what p1sses me off is that it's just another harmless area of entertainment that's off-limits for obedient, manipulated JWs. Every facet of their lives are controlled by cosseted middle-aged and elderly men!

Now that I've got that off my chest, I think I'll watch A Nightmare on Elm Street. They don't know what they're missing.

One, two, Freddy's coming for you

Three, four, better lock your door ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKb9VdVNZjM

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I once watched Dawn of the Dead and made the mistake of telling one of my friends about it. He snitched me to an elder. When the elder talked to me he told me "Do you realize that live people played their (zombies) part"?

• Listener
    Listener

Good point. They must prove, in the first instance, that witches, wizards and vampires etc. exist and that they have magical/supernatural powers. Only then can they proceed to claim what may be behind it.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Fear of Satan, a common cult tool.

• Saename
    Saename

The Ring is the best horror I've ever seen. No other movie scared me like this one. I saw it for the first time when I was about 11 or 12 (even though I shouldn't at that age!) It scared the hell out of me. After watching The Ring 2, I had to force myself to actually take a shower. The bathtub scene was too much for the young me. And the TVs... Oh, the TVs... Yup, no other movie scared me like The Ring.

• schnell
  • Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Come on guy's the best horror movie was the original Frankenstein movie in black and white. Scared the bee-gee-bers out of me when I was a kid back in the 1960's. Another good one was King Kong the 1929 version. You had to think and feel the fear. Of course the Borg thinks the Wizard of Oz is bad because it has witches in it. LOL. Still Totally ADD

• schnell
    schnell
    Come on guy's the best horror movie was the original Frankenstein movie in black and white.

I haven't seen any of the Universal horror movies yet, even if I tell myself I should.

Another good one was King Kong the 1929 version. You had to think and feel the fear.

Great movie. Have you seen how big they've made Kong in the upcoming Skull Island movie? He's ridiculously large, just so they can pair him with the equally ridiculously large Godzilla in a sequel.

Of course the Borg thinks the Wizard of Oz is bad because it has witches in it. LOL.

This irked me even I was a wee child. Even then, at my most faithful, I still knew better. Maybe they just didn't want people to look behind the curtain.

I think it's interesting that the Wizard of Oz was a political allegory, though Baum denied as much. I believe it at least started out that way. In any case, it wasn't a Satanic ploy, for God's sake.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Then it goes on to state the WT belief that someone is 'behind it'.

Yes its usually someone trying to commercialize fear which reflectively isn't that hard for the sensitivity of the human imagination can be exploited.

The WTS has been exploiting fear too in its end of the world apocalyptic fear mongering agenda as a religious publishing house.

Fear and ignorance is a practical and useful commodity., religions have known this for centuries

• smiddy
    smiddy

Doesnt Sparlock come into that catergory ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit