Motivations for Watchtower leadership

by GetMeOutofHere 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think they at least began as "true believers". (I was.) At some point they may have developed doubts. (I did.) It's amazing how you can reason away the doubts. (I did.) "It's the closest thing to the Truth." or "There might still be some small errors in understanding but Jehovah will correct all that." "Even if it is wrong, it's still the Best Way of Life!"

In the specific case of the GB, they are surrounded by "Yes Men". Everything they do is "worshipped". No one DARE disagree as that would be like disagreeing with God.

I suspect they see their comfy (or even lavish) lifestyle as evidence of God's Blessing. Everything good is a reassurance that they are on the right track. Everything bad is a test from Satan.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I agree with Blues Brothers.

But

They MUST be thinking - "whats going on, 1914 is so long long ago and nothing the GB has ever said in the past has come true."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Like I keep saying...

...they know it's wrong... but believe it's true...

...at the same time.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In the specific case of the GB, they are surrounded by "Yes Men".

Everything they do is "worshiped". No one DARE disagree as that would be like disagreeing with God.

Good point DOC

That makes the GB members PMP Power, Money, Privilege

• waton
    waton

In 2 cases, Fredrick Franz and David Splane, I would venture to say they have a syndrom similar to Albert Einstein, in that they feel they have a direct, though faulty line to the creator.

By using their power of position, they imagine they can force the hand of "god" (der Alte) to grant them the privilege to have come up with a correct guess/theory.

Einstein felt sorry for "the lord" if his own theories were not reflected in the Universe's workings, and

The GB is sorry that there theories on timing had nothing to do what is really happening.

D.S, would like to have another radical go at it if allowed by the powers to be in the Corporation.

Problem for the GB is, that the universe is a much more realistic entity to study, and get a handle on everything knowable than the bible.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Read Don Cameron's book "Captives to a Concept", it explains really well their motivation...they are held captive to the concept a god is involved with the GB.

Once they are held captive to that then that is their motivation.

• sir82
    sir82

D.S, would like to have another radical go at it if allowed by the powers to be in the Corporation.

My impression is that he indeed is full of himself.

But your post makes it sound like your information is more than just an "impression".

Do you have a source for Splane's demi-Messianic complex?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

They claim to love Jehovah unconditionally but saving ones own hide is the major motivation especially since JW men are made to feel as if they'd be jeopardizing their eternal life if they didn't reach out for position, although being able. As a side benefit, they enjoy the accolades of their peer group and often times they make their wife proud of the feather she gets to wear in her cap.

Same goes for the door to door ministry. JW's claim obedience to God and love of neighbor is the main motivation but if they weren't so thoroughly convinced that eternal life vs eternal punishment was just ahead, it is highly likely that wouldn't do any of it. The higher ones level of service, the more likely it is that they'll get an eternal reward and enjoy the accolades of their peer group.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Ever notice how a JW needs to validate his/her beliefs over and over ?

Like ,for instance :

1. Every and any disaster that occurs anywhere in the world ? No matter what it is ?

2 Any and every political crisis that happens anywhere in the world ?

3.Any war that breaks out anywhere ?

4 .Massive bushfires that happen anywhere ?

5 . Any flood that happens anywhere?

6. when drought happens for any length of time or even a short time .

7.when a single or group of religions for one reason or another are subject to government scrutiny , crackdown or persecution.

It`s nothing new . It`s always happened over the Centuries and will continue to do so.

All of these and probably a few more you can think of validate the belief in the minds of Jehovah`s Witnesses that they and they alone have the "truth"

What they fail to realise is that all of these things have been happening since Adam , it`s just the natural cycle of life and will continue to occur for evermore.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Everything is proof we're right! Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit