Brian Williams should interview Ben Carson

by Simon 25 Replies latest social current

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I heard Ben Carson's reply to the media about his offer of a scholarship to West Point. He did quite well. He did okay defending his past even though the media could not confirm it.

Don't get me wrong. Ben is living in a fantasy world. Nobody gets a free scholarship to West Point. They all get a free admission when they are chosen. But I could see Ben believe that he was offered what he said. I could see him remembering a stabbing incident that was probably just some stupid careless flinging of a knife or boxcutter or something. I don't see a liar, I see a delusional man.

I laughed and laughed at the comment about Joseph building the pyramids to store grain. That's not in the Bible, people have been inside the pyramids and know what they were built for, plus the timing is all wrong. But why should facts get in the way?

As far as Republicans go, I actually like Ben somewhat. But his plans might be laced with delusional ideas just as bad as his thoughts on the pyramids. And Congress would eat him alive.

• Simon
    Simon
    Nobody gets a free scholarship to West Point. They all get a free admission when they are chosen. But I could see Ben believe that he was offered what he said

I think that was the more plausible / believable part of his story and likely had elements of truth to it (it really comes down to meaning of who said what) which is why I think he kept retreating to using that as an example to talk about. That is also why I think the "thug to brain surgeon" path to religious elightenment story is very likely made up.

It would be a funny experiment having him as president. Hey, and he wouldn't automatically have to be the worse - as long as he didn't invade any countries and let other people do their jobs he could be fine. It would be good for comedy.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    The republican party is in trouble when their two leading candidates are delusional narcissists. Having been a JW I get the cognitive dissonance that would allow someone to believe the things they seem to believe, but I can't imagine either Carson or Trump running the country. Both have excelled in certain areas, where they were in a controlled environment and where they were top of the food chain, but neither has an ounce of introspection, or any awareness of their own faults. They are good for the interesting sound bite, but that does not in any way indicate someone who is ready to lead the country. People want easy answers and these two give it, but it's not that simple.
  • jws
    jws

Even if he can explain-away the story about the scholarship, he is full of fabrications. Like General Westmoreland not even being in Detroit for that dinner. He was in/around Washington DC.

Everything can be explained away. Oh, I got the date mixed up. The fake psychology exam was a prank on me and I didn't know. Whatever.

But all of this paints a picture that republicans love. Here he is this black violent child who finds Jesus and suddenly is this humble guy and has received god's help along the way (like his chemistry exam dream). It speaks right to that section of republican voters.

He even thinks Joseph built the pyramids to store grain. What? The bible doesn't say that. And only a fraction of the building space was actually empty. Not the best storage vessel.

This guy is crazy. He's either telling lies and stories on purpose or he himself is nuts. I can go for the fact that to be a talented doctor, you have to be somewhat smart and logical. So perhaps this is all a calculated game for him. He's just telling lies and stories to make himself sound better to a certain demographic. Perhaps this is why he's so wrong on biblical things too - because he isn't really religious and doesn't know what the Bible says. He's vaguely familiar and is pulling out crazy stories based on things he's heard or the little he does know. And they slip out of his mouth and he thinks he's demonstrating vast knowledge of the Bible.

But that makes him a lying politician (I know, most are). But he can't even be bothered to make up good lies. He's got to know that if his aims are political office, some of these things will be checked. They're OK when you're a self-promoting author who wants to make a buck writing books. But for a politician???

• sir82
    sir82

He's either telling lies and stories on purpose or he himself is nuts.

Ermm, can't it be both?

• Simon
    Simon
    He's either telling lies and stories on purpose or he himself is nuts. I can go for the fact that to be a talented doctor, you have to be somewhat smart and logical. So perhaps this is all a calculated game for him. He's just telling lies and stories to make himself sound better to a certain demographic.

I can't decide if he's an idiot or just manipulative. Surely someone who is educated can't be so clueless about the pyramids but could see how uber-bible stories plays well to the ultra-christian base? The made up stories suggest more of a manipulative leaning to me.

It could also just demonstrate though that expertise in one field doesn't mean you are automatically intelligent in all areas. It shows you have a certain aptitude and can excel in one thing but be utterly clueless about common sense / general knowledge. It's what I call "clever stupid". He's a clever guy at what he does, but he seems so stupid.

He was totally lost in the debate when it came to foreign affairs and ISIS. He waffled and rambled about the US fighting Russia and China in Iraq and it was clear he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

I think his star will start to fade now. His RainMan act was endearing at first but is getting boring now and given that most of the 'big issues' for this election seems to be todo with economics and foreign affairs it just seems a stretch that anyone would stick such a clueless noob in the position.

But who knows ... the religious base that applauds pyramids being built by Joseph to store grain will believe any crap as long as you say Jesus enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit