Do You Know Of Anyone Who Left JWs And Then Decided To Return?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

People would return only for 2 reasons, IMHO:

THey left for some reasons, still believing its the truth and then return out of fear or guilt.

They left because they discovered its a cult but yet return for the sake of family.

• minimus
    minimus

Sparrow, do you think I missed your point? Seriously? I guess you didn’t get the humor.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@minimus

I never met JWs that cared if people played Chess, and I knew a number of people who did play chess. They even played little magnetized boards on the way to conventions. So... your experience is way different than mine and not JW typical.

I've known two people who left and went back. One was a single sister. She left and came back pregnant. I think she probably came back so that she could have the support of her family. She went all in when she went back and became a true believer... or acted like one at least. She mooched off of Welfare for a few years so that she could go jobless and pioneer. Then she married a man from Trinidad (the Island) who she met through letter. I have no idea how that turned out.

I knew another young man who left because he didn't believe but went back because he couldn't handle being shunned by his family. He was really close to his mother and so he went back for her. He later married my sister who is a staunch JW. If he doesn't believe, he certainly doesn't tell her. I saw them at their wedding, which they invited everyone to even though she was shunning a bunch of us. That was the weirdest wedding I've ever been to and I got to sit in the shunned section. That was the last time I saw either of them and that was about 10 years ago. I have no idea how they are, but they are still in.

• Simon
    Simon

I know people who left and then went back. Some of them seem to have really "got religion" but I think it's really a crutch because they are getting older, haven't planned for retirement and are facing their own mortality. I just can't comprehend that anyone can believe it after learning the truth about it, but there's the problem - many who leave just leave because of some injustice or complying with rules but don't educate themselves and live their lives worrying about Armageddon coming.

I don't think anyone who really knows the reality of the WTS can go back. It's like the character wanting to be plugged back into the MATRIX but there's no way to erase the knowledge and if you try, you'll probably go nuts.

Just imagine heading off on a Sunday morning for 2 hours of public-talk and WatchTower? I think I'd take my seatbelt off and drive my car into a tree.

• carla
    carla

In regard to the chess thing, my jw quit playing with the kids when he became a jw. Not sure if he even remembers that or if he would play today or not.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

I've been PIMO for seven years next month. Some never leave.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew that young jws would go back when they married (a nonjw) and had their first child worried that the child would then die at Armaggedon.

• minimus
    minimus

Regarding chess, there was a negative awake article I believe in 1960s or bit later that spoke poorly on the game. “Mature “ Witnesses understood the point of being exemplary.

• minimus
    minimus

I resurrected a thread of seven years about the subject.

• I Faded Twice
    I Faded Twice

Ok so I left years ago then returned even though I figured it wasn't da troof. But then I had kids I still I reasoned it's not true but theres nothing harmful. Then I saw ARC ,Candace Conti, Jose Lopez and all the other victims. And I decided it ends with me! They can do whatever they want to me. Shun me df me I don't care but my children WILL be able to make their own choice without worry of mom and dad!

Fu watchtower!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit