Do You Know Of Anyone Who Left JWs And Then Decided To Return?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Quite a few years ago there was a poster here that left the religion because he knew it was simply not true. However, he returned to JWs because he wanted to be with his family. I don’t know how he is doing but Gumby was his name. Definitely seemed like a very nice guy but didn’t want to live his life without his JW family.

Do you know of people who left and went back to the Organization? And what happened to them afterwards?

• jp1692
    jp1692

I know of quite a few.

Most had not completely come to terms with the fact that it's a cult. Some few were okay with it for the sake of family. I know of one man that goes to all the meetings simply because he doesn't want to lose out on a fairly substantial inheritance.

This might sound judgmental, and I suppose it is, but I personally cannot understand how those people can live with their own duplicity pretending to be someone they are not and pretending to believe things they do not. They all live "double-lives" to varying degrees.

I could never do that. I miss my family members that are still-in. I miss them very much. But my personal integrity is more important to me than that.

• “Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance"
  • steve2
    steve2

Given that most are kicked out, not for apostasy, but "sins of the flesh", I'm not surprised significant numbers (try to) go back.

We've had threads here about disfellowshipped JWs who have literally turned on apostates, loudly denouncing them. It's their way of saying, "I may be wicked for getting disfellowshiped for immorality - but at least I'm not evil like apostates."

I'm sure that every congregation has a number of revolving door JWs: Kicked out and reinstated on three or more occasions.

• minimus
    minimus

I’m just thinking that with so many resources that are available, it might not be as common as it used to be.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I don't know anybody that left because of TTATT that ended up coming back. Very rare i think.

But if you are including people that leave because of other reasons, then yeah I know many. One common situation are the people that fade away not because of TTATT, but because they met "someone" that is not a JW.

They stop going to meetings, and take a break from the "troof" so they can go have fun, then come crawling back to get their punishment and be allowed back in.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Honestly, I have never heard of a single one after being in for the first 36 years of my life. 4 states. 6 congregations. Not 1.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I know plenty of people who "drifted" away and anytime I saw them they would always be "planning on getting back to meetings soon." "Soon" never came it was just a line they used if they encountered an active JW.

Bizarre behavior when you think about it if you ran into someone you knew from a chess club or softball team you are no longer attending you may have a passing conversation about the club but would you immediately start to explain away your current chess habits and explain how you are not playing as much as you would like because of anxieties of life blah blah...?

No you would just talk like a normal person ask how they are, their health, their life, their family etc.

Imagine saying well if you're not playing chess anymore I shouldn't be talking to you!

• minimus
    minimus

Chess is negative. It’s a war game and Jehovah’s Witnesses stay clear of anything that promotes war!

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

One young married sister kept having affairs. After the third one she was caught on video tape and disfellowshipped. She divorced and spent 3 years trying before getting reinstated even though she knew TTATT. She wanted her family and friends back and to secure her inheritance. But actually it was just the inheritance. Once she got that it was a slow fade and out of reach. Married a younger “worldly” man who was always known by the community to be gay.

I’ve heard similar stories, primarily coming back for family and then doing a proper fade.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

You missed the point of what I said entirely minimus.

I was not talking about chess or any other hobbie I was using an example of things normal people do and say as opposed to the retarded conversations JWs have.

I was referring to JWs bizarre behavior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit