Scriptures they use to justify disfellowshipping

by Lynnie 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

You know, as an excuse to act contrary to Jesus Christ's teachings.

Well said Anna

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Anna-Marina said " Proper context - it helps."

That of course, is what the JW Org never does, it takes out of what was a personal Letter to one Congregation some words, and says they apply to all. It ignores the 1st century context of the N.T. It often ignores what the surrounding verses show the Writer actually meant, and so on. They do not like "Context".

The way to read and understand the Bible properly is to understand completely the Context, taking in to consideration the above mentioned points, and a number more.

They do not read the Scriptures with understanding, and do, undoubtedly twist the original Writer's meaning.

The other Scripture they love to use comes from one of the Letters of John, Chapter and verse escapes me, they love to use it in cases they label as "Apostasy", but the verses in question merely say that someone who has denied that Jesus is the Son of God counts as such, few people who leave J.W's claim that, at least in their early years of leaving. Again, misuse of Scripture.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Brainfloss,

Many ancient history books can provide valuable context for difficult biblical passages, which are many times just brief notes on a subject and do not represent the totality of jurisprudence.

I have read Jasher and Gad. They flesh out many things that are quickly notated in the bible. Jasher cleared up a number of questions I always wondered about regarding Abraham. I was struck by the strong New Testament themes found in Gad because it was written long before NT times.

History books mentioned in the bible:

• The Book of Wars, Num. 21:14
  • The Book of Jasher, Josh. 10:13
  • The Chronicles of David, 1 Chron. 27:24
  • The Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah, 2 Chron. 27:7; 35:27; 36:8
  • The Book of the Kings of Israel, I Chron. 9:1; 2 Chron. 20:34.
  • The Words of the Kings of Israel, 2 Chron. 33:18.
  • The Decree of David the King of Israel, 2 Chron. 35:4.
  • The Chronicles of Samuel the Seer, 1 Chron. 29:29
  • The Chronicles of Nathan the Prophet, 1 Chron. 29:29
  • The Book of Gad, 1 Chron. 29:29
  • The Book of the Prophet Iddo, 2 Chron. 13:22
  • The Words of Shemaiah the Prophet, 2 Chron. 12:15
  • The Deeds of Uzziah by Isaiah the Prophet, 2 Chron. 26:22; 32:32
  • The Book of Jehu, 2 Chron. 20:34
  • The Record book of Ahasuerus, Esther 2:23; 6:1
  • The Book of Remembrance, Mal. 3:16
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Anna Marina Rev 2:2 - 5 nice scripture. Perfect for those SW**es