Scriptures they use to justify disfellowshipping

by Lynnie 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Does someone have a list of the scriptures the JW's use to justify shunning and disfellowshipping? I know there are only a few.

• sir82
    sir82

Main one is 1 Corinthians 5:11-13:

But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral
    or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves."
  • EverApostate
    EverApostate

Add "Who Questions the Watchtower" to that.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

They use Stephen 0.5:3-6 and Anthony 3:6,6,6

But I also used a scripture. I know the Tetragrammaton isn't in the NT but this is the scripture I used to respond to the chairman of the Star Chamber that chucked out the synagogue

(Jude 9) . . .But when Michael the archangel had a difference with the Devil and was disputing about Moses’ body, he did not dare to bring a judgment against him in abusive terms, but said: “May Jehovah rebuke you.. . .

I just said the last bit and hung up on him.

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

As I thought there's basically only one that they base their favorite doctrine on. My cousin can't remember the slogan of "stay alive till 75" but will never let me forget that I'm disfellowshipped

Not feeling the love!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Sir82,

When I asked my dad why he was shunning me and my family, he quoted the scripture you cited. When I told him I was practicing none of those things, he still said that the scriptures were clear or some kind of nonsense.

I asked him if he knew what the biblical punishment was for bearing false witness, since it sounded like he was accusing me of those things. He just looked away from me and probably wished I would just go away.

The bottom line is that JW's absolutely hate even their closest family members if they change churches. If you don't worship the Watchower you are dead as far as they are concerned.

I don't believe that most governments are sufficiently aware that a JW cannot change churches without losing their family. I think the Russians understand it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" I don't believe that most governments are sufficiently aware that a JW cannot change churches without losing their family. I think the Russians understand it."

Have a look at the Thread from Atlantis/Petra on the latest Court Ruling in Switzerland ,It is huge ! and will spread to Germany and Austria, and then ,who knows where, read the Thread, it is exciting !

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's noteworthy that the wording of 1 Corin. 5:11-13 is in direct opposition to the current JW procedure: it omits the name of the offender while describing the offense in detail.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Room215 - exactly - it does not belong to Watchtower to render anyone 'like a tax collector'. That right belongs to the Christians not to the anti-Christs.

When they go on about someone being like Korah was to Moses, they are fulfilling the role of Korah not Moses.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    • Sexually immoral
    • Greedy
    • Idolater
    • Reviler
    • Drunkard
    • Extortioner

The Apostle Paul made this practice. Jesus never taught this. As such, there's the list. "Apostates" might be called "revilers" by Witnesses, but to truly be one depends on whether the criticism is abusive or not. To simply disagree is not reviling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit