Scriptures they use to justify disfellowshipping

by Lynnie 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Jesus would not approve such practices. Anyone wishing to become a Christian would have to leave off such practices. But in order to remain in Christ's teachings you have to have accepted them in the first place.

The following are the words of John.

(2 John 9-11) . . .Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. 11 For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works. . .

Jesus gave authority to his disciples and the book of Revelation gives details of how Jesus was not happy with any wrongdoing in the congregations.

(Revelation 2:2-5) . . .‘I know your deeds, and your labor and endurance, and that you cannot bear bad men, and that you put those to the test who say they are apostles, but they are not, and you found them liars. 3 You are also showing endurance, and you have borne up for my name’s sake and have not grown weary. 4 Nevertheless, I hold [this] against you, that you have left the love you had at first. 5 “‘Therefore remember from what you have fallen, and repent and do the former deeds. If you do not, I am coming to you, and I will remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

I've met a lot of elders who were greedy and drunks,

So does that mean loyal JW should separate these men from the congregation ?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    I've met a lot of elders who were greedy and drunks,
    So does that mean loyal JW should separate these men from the congregation ?

Amen!

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

Quite impractical to emulate the social standards of behaviour of the 3000 year old ancient Hebrews , human knowledge has expanded quite a bit since then.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Call me boring, call me old fashioned, but some of those standards have stood the test of time. I know we've moved beyond the temple arrangement.

I do like that one about treating others as you would like to be treated yourself.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Quite impractical to emulate the social standards of behaviour of the 3000 year old ancient Hebrews , human knowledge has expanded quite a bit since then.''

It's just amazing how the most devout, old-school JW's structure their 24-per-day routine around such archaic, stone-aged standards for 50-60 years.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

I do like that one about treating others as you would like to be treated yourself.

Sure there are indeed valuable socialized concepts which are still useful and beneficial for mankind, the basic tenets of Christianity are just that.

But before those were established there were the ancient Hebrew socialized laws of behavior which many were simply not , such as ......

Children who dishonor their parents should be put to death.

Children should be punished by striking them with a rod or stick.

A rapist against an unwed girl can buy or pay a dowry to the parents of the girl and marry her even if she does not want to.

Serious hurtful crimes against people can be dismissed without paying a penalty if the said perpetrator does not admit to the accused action and there were not two witnesses to the event.

The list goes on and on.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Fink,

Some of your concerns are explored a little more in depth here. http://christianthinktank.com/virginity.html

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

Sea breeze here is what the Bible says on the matter.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version (NIV)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Scriptures are very useful for history and so helpful when not read in the way the Pharisees and Watchtower used to read them. You know, as an excuse to act contrary to Jesus Christ's teachings.

Proper context - it helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit