God and the afterlife. Do you need to believe in both

by moley 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moley
    moley

I consider myself an atheist, I completely reject the idea of a totalitarian desert god/any god and the bible is a book of fairytales and folk legends.

I do however sort of believe that this life is not all there is. I’m not talking about heaven or hell but in a tangible state of being.

There are a few experiences I’ve had in my llife. Could be imagined could be real. That lead me to think this way

• Perry
    Perry

Hi moley. That is a very good question. - Could there be an afterlife without a Creator?

So I guess you are talking about "consciousness"? I guess if our present life appeared from non-life then it could be possible, sure. If one, why not the other?

But, there is nothing to base this on in science or our own experience. Life always comes from previous life. Information always comes from a mind; And consciousness always comes from prior consciousness.

• moley
    moley

Perry

Youve hit the nail on the head

• waton
    waton

There was matter before our becoming conscious of it. we live now in mattertime, before that, there must have been energytime.

A being working in the cosmic workshop, beyond our horizon, could have formed matter from energy without having our continued personal consciousness as a necessary ingredient.

but there could be a "J" in the equation. J for Joseph. (I have a dream ---).

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Life alwas comes from previous life.

Where did the first life come from then?

• moley
    moley

Waton

I am enjoying a j right now!!

come on peeps would love to hear others views

• Perry
    Perry

Hi FHN,

Good to hear from you again. Hope you have been well. That is also a very good question.

If your question contains an assumption of time when you used the phrase "come from", then that is not consistent with the character of God (the First Life) described in the dictionary since he is Omnipresent. (all-present). This term means that God is capable of being everywhere at the same time. In other words not restrained by time in any way.

But since you asked "Where", that is much easier to answer: From outside of our space-time-matter universe/dimension. This answer is consistent with both modern scientific assumption and biblical theology since both postulate our universe having a beginning. In other words, an infinite digression of cause and effect events, (or infinite historical life-from-previous-life) doesn't fit either model.

The first ten words of Genesis relates eyewitness testimony of creation from the "first" life:

In the beginning (time has a beginning), God created the heavens (space) and the earth (matter).

So time, space and matter came into existence simultaneously. Time, space and matter are simply inventions born from the mind of God, the ultimate energy source. If he invented these things, then he is certainly not bound by them and exists outside of their influence and constraints.

Hope this helps.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

If there was or is a god he doesn’t care about us!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

EVIDENCE PLEASE!

• Perry
    Perry

Hi Crazy Guy,

Our own troubles are real for sure. But compared to what? I think the issue of scale is important.

Ravi Zacharias makes some interesting points along this line at a Columbia University Q & A session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtUQ1BksGQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit